Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How should stitches look from 15-91 sewing machine (or the like) >

How should stitches look from 15-91 sewing machine (or the like)

How should stitches look from 15-91 sewing machine (or the like)

Old 02-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Default How should stitches look from 15-91 sewing machine (or the like)

I am wondering about my stitches. They seem variable when nothing has changed. Most times they seem okay. But then an occasional stitch seem kind of off. Or when the stitches were clearly define, all of a sudden, they kind of meld into one line. Or there is the occasional tiny loop on the back of the fabric. Or 1 or 2 stitches out of line. When nothing has changed. I have checked the needle (flat side to the left). I have re-threaded. Checked the bobbin. Does this happen to you? Or what am I missing that I need to check or adjust?

I was wondering - do you find your 15-91 to be particular with thread type?

Below are pictures of what I am seeing. 100% cotton. Kind of thinnish material. Actually, these stitches look more consistent on this than on some slightly thicker 100% cotton. Do you find that you need to adjust tension when then material gets slightly thinner or thicker (I only quilt right now, so always 100% cotton). First picture is of the back, second one is of the front.[ATTACH=CONFIG]308640[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]308639[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   back.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 PM

Okay, so I feel silly. Decided to check one more thing. I had changed needles (the one on the machine came with the machine, I wanted a fresh needle). I put on a Schmetz Quilting Needle, size 90/14. Was told those were the same as the Universals 15 x 1H (both say 130/705, the Quilting ones say 15-Q, the Universals say 15 X 1H). My machine doesn't think they are the same! Also, when I stood them up next to each other, one of them was just a shade taller than the other (forget which one now, think the quilting one was a smidge taller).

More consistent stitch quality with the Universal 15 x 1.

Lesson learned - needle type matters - a lot.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:28 PM

Thanks for posting your discovery!! I'll have to remember this!!

Could it have also been that the needle that came with the machine was old and dull?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:48 PM

The needle on the machine probably was dull, I have no idea how long it had been used. And when I put the needles up side by side again (both new needles) - they seemed the same height. If one is taller it is only a smidge - but I was probably comparing the old to the new last night. But for whatever reason, the Universal seems to be what this machine wants.

That's fine, I can use the Universal...but I do notice that I have variations in my stitch on the back of my fabric. As in sometimes the stitches are well defined (front and back) and other times it seems they are less defined on the back (sort of like they melt into each other). Not sure what that is about. And it can go back and forth between more defined and less - without me changing anything. Seems the longer I sew, the stitches are more likely to seem less defined. ???

Also, mostly the stitches are straight, but sometimes one here or there kind of slants slightly. For everyday piecing, this won't matter. The only time I see it being noticeable is when doing SITD, which I plan on doing on a quilt top I have ready to go. It isn't terrible, but on a straight line, it can be seen. I don't know if that will just be how this machine rolls, or if this is normal.

After I posted this I stumbled upon a post in the resources area that gave some links to Schmetz needles. It was very helpful in explaining the difference between the various types of needles. I think I searched on needles as opposed to stitches - and that is how I found it.

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
Thanks for posting your discovery!! I'll have to remember this!!

Could it have also been that the needle that came with the machine was old and dull?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Power Poster

some links http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...eedle-know-how
and
http://zsuzsybee.hubpages.com/hub/Se...achine-Needles
yeah - just search and a lot comes up!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Thanks Miriam, these links are awesome! Very helpful info.

- Rain

Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/
Old 02-05-2012, 07:24 PM

Dawn,
I use my Singer 15-90 treadle for piecing quilts, also only use cotton threads. Have you tried microtex 80/12 needles for piecing your blocks? The quilting needles are used for machine quilting, I prefer a 90/14 topstitch needle when I quilt. You can see some of what I'd been piecing in the picture.
Sharon W.
Attached Thumbnails img_5378.jpg  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 AM

Thank you for the info Sharon! I think it would be helpful for me at this point to start a notebook with notes as to what I've tried, what works and what doesn't. I haven't tried microtex needles yet. I think most of my thread is a mix. I have thread that I purchased at my LQS. Not on cones, but bigger than regular spools. I'll be darned if I can remember the brand. I think it may be 100% cotton, but not totally sure. Will have to give them a call so I know what I have as I start experimenting.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 AM

Also remember this is an older machine that needs to be run for a while before all the kinks will be out of her. Especially if she sat for a long time.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Thank you all for the tips and links!