Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Husqvarna automatic sewing machine >

Husqvarna automatic sewing machine

Husqvarna automatic sewing machine

Old 11-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Default Husqvarna automatic sewing machine

I don't have a model no. Yet...And am not familiar with this machine...wondering if anyone knows which machine this might be if it can be identified without the model...I am trying to find a compatible 1/4 foot for it for a senior and would appreciate any help ..low shank, high shank? Etc...oh, I believe it is a 1958 machine??
do I need more info?
Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by tellabella View Post
I don't have a model no. Yet...And am not familiar with this machine...wondering if anyone knows which machine this might be if it can be identified without the model...I am trying to find a compatible 1/4 foot for it for a senior and would appreciate any help ..low shank, high shank? Etc...oh, I believe it is a 1958 machine??
do I need more info?
I assume it's green and has a free arm? It's likely to be a 21 or similar. Automatic means built in cams and I think that would be the one. The model ID is behind the motor (back of the pillar). I think they're a low shank, so Singer low shank feet should work. Anyone have one of these at the moment?
Old 11-11-2014, 04:27 AM

I believe this will be a 21 or 21A, the 21E does not have the "automatic" name on it, though it's very similar in appearance.

BTW - parts for these three are not all interchangeable, and getting parts can be very expensive. This is not a machine to buy if it needs parts, thinking you can fix it up cheaply. Best is to buy another that is in poor condition, but has what you need. Cams are also very hard to come by. Expensive if the seller knows what they have, and if cheap - pay for them with a poker face and don't smile until you have them out the door!

This is my husband's 21A

On the back - is the model number

Right above the number is a swing out door - where the cams go.

There is a lever you pull down to remove the cam

There are four cams, and each one has zigzag plus four stitches. A cam IS NEEDED to zigzag, but it does not matter which cam you have, so most often there is one in the machine even if it comes with no others. Check for this before you buy - or it's straight stitch only - and cams for this machine are very hard to come by. I've never seen them for sale on eBay except with a machine.

A Singer foot does fit, but I have no idea on sources for a 1/4" foot.
This is a hemming foot - it's what I had handy.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 AM

Here is a 21A and a 21E side by side.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I believe this will be a 21 or 21A, the 21E does not have the "automatic" name on it, though it's very similar in appearance.
I had what my database says was a Husqvarna Viking Automatic 21E that had the word “automatic” on it. It looked different than your 21E. I don’t have it any longer to double-check the model number, so maybe my records are wrong.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine282_01.jpg  
Old 11-11-2014, 08:39 AM

Those old Vikings tend to be expensive when I see them. Great looking machines though and on my ever expanding "want" list.
I love the color and the styling on them.
Rodney
Old 11-11-2014, 10:23 AM

CD - yours could be a 21E - Viking used a combination of the "names" Viking/Husqvarna/Automatic and the logo in different locations and typeset on these machines, does not seem like a real rhyme or reason to it . . . When I was looking online, all of those that said Automatic were either 21 or 21A - but that does not mean there isn't a 21E with it on there . . . I didn't look at "all" of them. It's not really an issue unless you are looking for something like the tensioner - the bad part, they "look" similar, but key parts are different that make it so they won't fit and/or work on the other machines.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:29 AM

CD - I looked online and yours has the knob configuration of a 21 (no letter). Notice how it's different than my two, which are a 21A and a 21E.

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-11-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:36 AM

Hehe - found one just like CD's listed as a 21A - no picture of the nameplate, but the copied manual says 21A so of course, that must be what the machine is LOL!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 08:56 PM

I have the 21 class It says automatic on the front , it is a complete machine w/ all the feet w/ 11 bobbins. will post photos if you want them . DottieBug