Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I am sewing machine broke - bought four machines this week, no end in sight :) >

I am sewing machine broke - bought four machines this week, no end in sight :)

I am sewing machine broke - bought four machines this week, no end in sight :)

Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 PM

Default I am sewing machine broke - bought four machines this week, no end in sight :)

Started off the week doing my first Craig's list road trip. Ok, it was just an hour and a half each way but it was so worth it!! The couple I bought a Elna Grasshopper from were collectors, I felt like a kid in a candy store. There were sewing machines everywhere! Major collectors. He had the elna all set up so I could sew. Beautiful machine, excellent condition.

Then , my new dear friend Shirley also known as girliegirl let me adopt her new find, the Singer 319W, I was thrilled to meet you Shirley!! It was a real QB meeting at our favorite thrift shop, can't tell you how many machines we have pulled out of that store between the two of us!

Last night I won a bid for a Singer 185K on eBay. That machine is adorable, it is such a pretty green color.

You would think that would be enough but Sunday I'm picking up a Singer 285k, I have a green theme going on here, what's up with that? Thank you so much Miriam for helping me identify that one
the reviews online are mixed but I'm going to give the little bugger a spin.

I am tired.....
Old 08-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Banned

sounds great!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:12 PM

Sounds wonderful - especially the part about getting the 319W! I know there is one out there for me somewhere - just got to be patient for a while!

Several years ago DS bought a house in the suburbs of Atlanta GA, and about a year ago DD transferred from Nevada State to UGA, and moved in with DS, and then DH's parents moved to northern Florida. So we'll be headed that way this fall. At least now we can visit the all with one trip!

Anyway, they think we are coming to visit - but we've already lined up to bring three machines with us.
We are bringing a white FW and a 401A to drop off in MO. I'm trading the 401 for a Rocketeer and my good friend picked up that Singer 115 with the Wings decal for me. So we'll drop off two and pick up two.

We are bringing the 534 down for Son, and he's got a 127, 99 and 301 already waiting for me. So we'll drop off the third and pick up three more. We may also pick up MIL's 625 Golden Touch N Sew. It has not worked for years, and she has two other machines, but DH wants to see if he can get it running.

We plan on leaving early and spending time in the Omaha/Council Bluff area, and then spend the night in St. Josephs and the day bumming around there and Kansas City. Will spend another day bumming around St. Louis with friends, and then head down MO along the Mississippi river. Not sure our exact route from there, normally we cross into KY and then down through TN and into GA. While we are there, we'll be making the trip to Florida to see In-laws new home.

We'll be down in GA for a week or so, then head back home. There is plenty of time between now and when we leave to see if I can work a few more deals - or find a few more machines! It's tempting to take the truck, but with the car I'll have a limiting factor, and I think I need that! DH said we can always ship a few machines home if we run out of room - way cheaper than feeding the truck all the way from South Dakota to Georgia and back.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:20 PM

Macybaby have good friends in St. Louis know that area as well as Kansas City. Good luck looking for machines!

I am going back home to Pittsburgh in November my dad is having surgery. I love your idea of tapping into Craig's list along the way. Can't wait to see what I can find in Pittsburgh. Lol I will be there for two weeks, lol I can do major damage.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

Awesome!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:01 AM

Don't miss the quilt museum in Lincoln, NE.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:27 AM

You will find north Georgia to be so pretty. I'm bout halfway between Atlanta and Chattanooga. Vintage machines are soooo scarce around here.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

LOL! you should be tired! But a good kind of tired! Doesn't matter the model. Often it's like a rescued animal. It's demeanor is often measured by the way it was treated by it's former owner. Treat it with lot's of loving and you will be rewarded immensely1
Old 08-17-2013, 09:26 AM

Awsome, I would be looking but our little double wide is full of DH toys and I don't have much room for what I want. But good for you and have a great time. Wave if you go through central FL. We are 70 N of Tampa on W coast.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:50 AM

Thanks everyone!!

I'm looking at Craig's list ads in Pittsburgh, I live in the Lehigh Valley, not going there for a few weeks, this is not good,lol. Wonder if my Dad can go pick up a machine for me?