I bought a Bernina 930

Old 01-29-2017, 01:43 PM

No, only when the lid is off, will it turn backwards, only. When the lid is off, the clutch will fall into the handwheel and not allow it to turn forward. The hinge on the clutch arm is attached at the back of the machine. I've attached a picture. I've got my screwdriver holding the clutch arm up.

There's no need to take the bottom off of this machine. You really DON'T want to do that. You can get to everything you need to take care of from the top, end door and throat plate.

I don't think I understand what issue you're having with the machine.
Attached Thumbnails needle-up-clutch.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 01:47 PM

Can you attach a picture of this "handwheel spring?"
Old 01-29-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Can you attach a picture of this "handwheel spring?"
I'm trying to. I can't get the pictures to upload. I'll resize them.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:09 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567072[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567073[/ATTACH]Im not sure if the spring ear is in the right place anymore. There aren't any pictures to let me know and I forgot to take a picture. Also I ran the machine with this side plate off and the top off. It was much quieter so I have a little hope that maybe it just needs a good cleaning? The needle didn't go up and down but I'm guessing that is because the top was off?
Attached Thumbnails 20170129_183814.jpg   20170129_183809.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 05:16 PM

I was wondering, what is that screw for that is covered up by a plastic cap on the back side of the sewing machine where the needle is?

Last edited by KathyJB; 01-29-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:30 PM

H Kathy,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We've been to church, then had a lovely dinner and visit with my son who came over.

I hope these pictures don't take up too much space.

You've probably got it figured out by now, but here goes. The pin needs to go back on before the spring. Turn the metal disk until the hole lines up with the slot. Put the pin in and screw it down tight. The one picture shows the position the pin and spring were in before I took it apart. I fiddled with it a little and didn't see much difference when I changed the position.

Then put the spring back on. The end of the spring that points outward goes in first. Then the end of the spring that points inward needs to go into one of the spaces on the metal disk.

Next, you put the cog back in. The cog end goes in first, and the end of the spring that points outward will catch in the little space that's made just for that end to fit in. I hope you can see it in the picture of the cog.

You'll know things are back into their correct position when the cog fits directly under the clutch arm. Which is the really fuzzy picture. And when the lid is on, and the bobbin winder is closed, it sews and the needle stops in the up position.

Let me know if you were able to get it back together and if everything is moving like it should.
Attached Thumbnails spring-screw-position.jpg   handwheel-spring.jpg   handwheel-cog.jpg   clutch-arm.jpg  
Old 01-30-2017, 06:10 AM

The screw covered by the plastic cap holds the driver gear in. If you get lint packed in the rack, you can pull the whole driver gear out to clean it.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:56 AM

I think you are wonderful for replying at all. Time with family is precious.

I put the little spring arm back into the middle slot, but I unfortunately bent that screw. Never fear I ordered another one plus some sewing machine oil. I need to service my other machines.
I didn't notice the notch in the black plastic gear so I'll check to make sure it's in the spring arm

I did more research about why the handwheel isn't turning. Not much out there on the 930 but there is on the 830 so I looked at those too. I saw that they had a spring arm tensioner (I think that's right) but I don't see anything like that on the 930 which is a shame because cleaning that is what got the 830 handwheel back to turning easily.
I can turn that fan forward fairly easily but don't want to do that too much because I don't want to cause another problem.
I was also able to join bernina 30somethings and downloaded the service manual. That will come in handy.

I really appreciate your help Annette. I think eventually together we can get this machine working or come to a point where you say, take it to the tech lol. The plastic gears I've seen look good, no cracks or serious wear.

I still don't know where that gear is that everyone says gets stuck. Right now I can't for the life of me think of what it is. BASTE yes, whew. I have a picture of it but I can't find it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]567107[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails baste.jpg  
Old 01-30-2017, 06:06 PM

So, what is the picture above? I really hope you haven't removed the needle bar. There are things that a consumer shouldn't mess with -- like a needle bar with a basing device on it.

If your machine is frozen-up, that's a pretty easy fix. There's no need to take things apart.

Please let me know what you're thinking. I'm not too good at deciphering what you've written.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:53 PM

Oh no! The only thing I have removed that is a "part" is the handwheel and the shuttle hook. I have removed the top and the sides, mainly for cleaning and to watch how things move. I had read somewhere that the 930 had a basting choice and that "that" part was something that got glunked up because it was rarely used. The picture above is supposed to have something to do with that part. I never saw anything like that in my machine so I was just curious.
Don't worry about not following what I'm talking about. The only people that can kind of follow me are my family because they have years of practice learning my language And I'm from Texas and have a pretty strong accent. Maybe that is coming across in my typing?

I really want to figure out why the handwheel, when turned by hand isn't working like it should if at all, and why when I press the foot control the needle goes up and down and all the parts move like they should. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I apologize for any confusion.