Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I did it again/ or why I hate CL... >

I did it again/ or why I hate CL...

I did it again/ or why I hate CL...

Old 12-03-2014, 10:22 AM

Dallas, Fort Worth area in Texas is high too. Once in a great while a bargain may be found but here, "if it's old, it's gold."
Old 12-03-2014, 10:49 AM

So far I have gotten 9 fw, s I am down to five two black and three repainted' I
Love these little machines
Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Well, I'm not yet as bitten by the bug as some of you, but my son has an eye for bargains when it comes to sewing machines. My white FW -- he found at the Goodwill Store - $50. Now, it has no case and had no attachments, but it's in absolutely pristine condition. I wish I could find another like that -- I've wanted to get one for my cousin in Oklahoma (as a gift), but $300 is much more than I can afford. LOL! Then, a few months ago, he was checking out the Goodwill Store again and found a Singer 403A -- paid $41 -- no attachments (but I have two boxes of slant-needle attachments and bought a couple more pieces along the way. That and the National Two Spool we inherited (it belonged to my husband's great-grandmother), the two T & S 750's my son rebuilt the cam stacks and timing gears on when he first began to learn about sewing machines, I got my mom's Singer 1425, my son rescued a like-new BabyLock Serger from the bone yard, and there are a couple in the garage that I don't even know what they are. I think I've got the bug worse than I thought! Then, there's the old White Treadle that I was promised almost a year ago -- the machine is stored in a residence where the farm land around it is leased (the lease is expiring) and I'll probably be getting that one soon! Truly, I'm running out of room! I hate to say it, but I think that bug is a real enabler! LOL

Jeanette
Old 12-04-2014, 10:37 AM

Well, I'm in a small condo so I don't have much room either - which is probably a good thing. I started out buying a Singer 66 Redeye on eBay which I now know (after all my time on this Board) that I paid way too much for... but she sure is pretty. Then I just had to have a cute little Singer 99 which I love to pieces. Then came my one Featherweight... again, paid too much and still have a smelly case that I need to keep bagged up in my basement... but the machine is a trooper. My current obsession is finding a 99 with a hand-crank, but boy howdy, those are soooo pricey on eBay! I hardly ever see a 99 on Craigslist in my area. Lots of old Kenmores and some other machines, but all way overpriced. Who was it that said above - if it's old, it's gold!! Ha ha not so much!
Old 12-04-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I think I've got the bug worse than I thought!
Jeanette
You've just been in denial - we've known all along!
Old 12-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
next thing you know you're getting rid of furniture to make more room and your kids are threatening to disown you.
And hubby is eyeballing the basement for places to put more teleposts in to support the floor in "that corner where your machines are" of the house.

*sigh* The wood floors we installed should spread enough of the weight, right?