I fixed my Pfaff 332!

Old 03-23-2015, 03:34 PM

I still see it as pretty ugly, but I love it to pieces anyway. I feel the same way about one of my dogs. She's a weird looking little thing, part alien and part I don't know what, but she's MY weird little dog and I adore her. (She actually looks a lot like Dobby the house elf from the Harry Potter movies, so that's her nickname now.)

I noticed something about this machine that seems to be unique though! There's an extra spike on the top of it and I can't figure out what it's for! I did a bunch of Google image searching and none of the other Pfaffs seem to have it and the drawings in the manuals I've found don't show it.

Is it an aftermarket thing? It doesn't move or rotate or extend; maybe something is supposed to bolt onto it? It's narrow enough that a spool will fit on it, but just barely and it already has 2 spool pins that flip up, and it's awfully short & stubby by comparison.

Anybody know what this is?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514608[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails spike.jpg  
Old 03-23-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post

I noticed something about this machine that seems to be unique though! There's an extra spike on the top of it and I can't figure out what it's for!
Yours is a boy.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Yours is a boy.
ROFL!!

That's extra funny because today I was thinking about I was going to name it, and thought it needed a good German name. I was thinking something like "The Fingerbreaker" or "The Bonecrusher" as a joking reference to how I sewed my finger with one, and decided to look those up in German with Google translate.

So I discovered:

"the bone" = male article (der knochen)
"the crusher" = male article (der brecher)

Then I tried "the Bonecrusher"...and suddenly it's "die Knochenbrecher" - with the female article! LOL

So now I don't know WHAT to think! LOL
Old 03-23-2015, 04:34 PM

As for the German. Mark Twain had a lot to say about German grammar and none of it was flattering but all of it was very funny.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:51 AM

LOL! Good read - I like Twain and I took German in high school so I followed that pretty well, and agree with most of it!

I think every language has quirks like that, the English language is tricky too. My boss's husband is from Mexico and still learning English and his homework is HARD! I don't know half the stuff he's learning! Present perfect tense...what? I don't know what that means, I just know if the sentence sounds right or not.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:10 PM

I stumbled into this thread again through a search engine. It's not what I need to find out but I see something that might be "off". I'm looking for how to access the inside part of the back plug.

I have a copy of the service manual and the aluminum wheel in the photo you posted should be up against the belt but the belt doesn't go around it.

According to the manual that is the Motor Belt Idler. It's job isn't to tension the belt but to keep it from flapping around. It says it should be adjusted so that the belt clips are in a permanent mesh with the wheel. If that is confusing message me and I will try to explain better.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:11 AM

Oh, so the belt is supposed to ride against the wheel but not around it?

It was completely off and just scratching around in there when I opened it up, and it fit so neatly on the outside of that wheel I just assumed that's where it was supposed to go! I found a photocopied manual online that showed this area of the machine but the photos were so dark I'm not really surprised I got it backwards. That makes sense, though, because the way that wheel attaches to the machine is with an open slot and it seemed a little weird it would be pulling against something attached that way. If the belt is on the other side of the wheel that pushes instead of pulls and that makes more sense.

I will switch it next time I have her on the table. Thanks for letting me know!

I still can't figure out the purpose for that extra spike. I'm convinced it's not original at this point, but I still can't fathom what it could have been used for. Mystery spike!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:47 AM

It was only by chance I happened into this thread again but after messing with mine I knew something seemed wrong. I am still working on mine. It's coming along but slowly. I need to peek into the wiring and it's a bit of a booger to get into. I've seen just a bit of oil seeping where the plug goes and want to be sure it only needs a clean up and not someone more worrisome.

Yes on closer exam that spike does look added on but I can't fathom a reason for it. It's interesting though and definitely makes your machine unique!
Old 04-13-2015, 06:15 AM

That spike is exactly the right size to poke out the paper covering the bottom of a spool of thread.

Until I figure out anything different, that's what I'm using it for. LOL!

Did you get the capacitors replaced on yours? I saw that post and cringed. Beyond my abilities at this point!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:59 AM

I didn't replace them. I just removed them. I also had to remove one from the foot controller. It was backened on the end. This machine was loaded with them. I wasn't planning on all that, but I did know that my machine was a fixer upper when I bought it. I've found a couple more issues but am working my way through them. I was able to try a few stitches last night. I'll keep working on it. I think I am going to love this machine. I've given it the name "War Horse".