I Have Angered The Wife.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Or....you could put a wrap-around hand attachment on it like is on this one....but you’ll probably need the special bobbin winder that goes along with it.....and they’re kind of pricey...

CD in Oklahoma
Never seen THAT before! thanks for posting it. Something else to look for now. My home made knob, ala Miriam is still being improved on and is more woodworking than metal, check Rube Goldberg, I'm about to post the latest itteration.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 AM

Better angered the wife (or husband for that matter) than angered the left behind sewing machine.... so which scenario will you choose?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
....from 1911, but since I do not have a "Victorian" convertible...
When you say “Victorian”, does that mean prior to 1900 or is there some other cut-off?

The Singer 27K2 shown above is a 1901 model.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Banned

Queen Victoria reigned from 1838 until her death in 1901 So that is the "Victorian Period" King Edward took over and the Edwardian age began...

So, technically your Singer would fit in the Victorian Period
Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I decided to post this as a separate question or questions..
I would like to get the model 27 running again as a hand crank machine. It doesn't have a motor or hand crank boss on the column.

Would it be a sin to drill the column of the machine to accept a reproduction handcrank?
The other (most likely ugly) option would be to cobble together a mount for the crank on whatever base I build for it.
Rodney
Rodney,

Bear with me for a moment while I try to form a word picture. "IF" I was dead serious about converting an older Singer that did not have a HC / motor boss, I would create my own boss to the same size as a machine that had one, then drill and tap the boss and machine head for screws to hold it in place. Then I'd drill and tap the boss and machine head to accept the mounting screw.
It would be a lot of work, but it would be a more secure modification than just drilling a hole for the HC base.

Joe
Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I would create my own boss to the same size as a machine that had one, then drill and tap the boss and machine head for screws to hold it in place. Then I'd drill and tap the boss and machine head to accept the mounting screw.
almost...

I would create my own boss to the same size as a machine that had one,
this includes the vertical ridge that ensures that it does not rotate.
Then I'd drill and tap the boss to accept the single mounting screw.
The hole in the Machine is not need to be tapped and should be slightly over sized.
Then drill and tap the boss and machine head for screws to hold the boss in place.
Mound and secure the boss then attach the handcrank as usual, viola!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 AM

I figured I would have to make a boss. I'd probably use aluminum since it's soft though a harder wood like oak might work as well and would be easier to work. Wood may actually be the better way to go. Once it was mounted and painted no one would be able to tell anyway. I don't think strength would be an issue.
I think I would drill and tap the machine column that way I can access everything from the outside.
The other choice would be to make an adapter that mounted to the base and mount the crank to that so the machine itself isn't touched. I can't think of any reason not to modify a reproduction handcrank if I need to.
Rodney

Rodney
Old 07-24-2014, 03:05 PM

I probably would use your last idea. But then I do everything in the most obtuse way imagineable.

Last edited by oldsewnsew; 07-24-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

How can one be mad for $5?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 PM

Space issues and the treadle machine that while still a bargain was considerably more than $5. She didn't stay mad long.
I don't think she knows we have 12 machines now. I try not to have them in the same place at the same time.
Rodney