Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I joined the 201 club... Twice! >

I joined the 201 club... Twice!

I joined the 201 club... Twice!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:06 AM

Default I joined the 201 club... Twice!

Hey peeps

Well, it's been an acquisitive couple of weeks. I finally capitulated and bought a 201. As soon as I'd decided, I hunted it down with focus and fervour... and won it for $76 on eBay looking like new and with a "recent service". Of course, it was the classic case of "recent" meaning sometime in the last couple of decades! But I have to say, even after a shocking first clean that involved removal of a huge hunk of thread from under the feed dogs, this is by far the quietest running machine I have and it's a pleasure to sew with.................. EXCEPT, that I loathe the darn foot controller. I know there's nothing wrong with it and it's the same as the one on my 222K. I just don't 'get' the design. Very small button to depress and what's the deal with the fixed protrusion to the right that just gets in the way??

Anyway, of course I was casually perusing Gumtree a couple of night's ago and saw a new listing for an almost identical 201 for $75 except the case was beautiful and it came with the knee controller. My attention was grabbed. The knee controller! That's what I needed! - so I hatched a plan. I thought I would go and see this second one and if the machine seemed okay, I'd purchase it so that I could make a hybrid machine out of the two.

So - they are both EK serial numbers and both machine heads are in excellent condition. The first machine seems faultless in terms of its functionality; the second machine I have not yet cleaned and oiled but it sounds pretty crunchy around the bobbin area when it runs and I'm not sure about the motor or anything yet because it came with no power cord. I took along my power cord/foot controller to try it out and a very strange thing happened: as soon as the machine was plugged in, it started running at high speed (and didn't sound great while doing so).

Did this happen because I plugged a foot control lead into a knee control machine? I don't understand much about electricity and motors, so maybe this can explain why the machine took off without being asked to? If not, I'd really like to hear from someone about what this could indicate. I am thinking I'll probably want to take the first machine head (that I've already cleaned up and oiled; and that has the quiet running motor) and mount it in the 'new' much more attractive wooden box and use it with the knee control. I presume this is all possible but would love any insight or tips you guys can offer.

I was able to purchase the 2nd machine for $50 without a power cord. I'm hoping this won't be a disaster, but they are such good machines.... Hoping I'll be able to combine them to get what I'm after and sell the other one to cover my extra costs. Any thoughts or insights that might help me to complete this project would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:03 AM

the pedal issue is not because of the knee/floor issue. Half the time it's a foot pedal in a bracket with a lever to push the button. And if it's a different style, when opened the insides are the same. I have a few really old cabinets that the controller does not even have a cover with not a lot of protection to keep fingers from toughing hot wires - and the basic mechanizim is still the same

There is a plunger, and as it goes up it shortens the resistance until there is a direct connection. I've seen some that got stuck in the "direct connection" position and they run wide open as soon as you plug them in.

This shows one in the "off" position with the plunger all the way down. There is quite a bit of spring tension to hold it that way.

And the lever is pressed, the plunger pulls upwards, pulling a bar inside the ceramic housing that makes a shorter and shorter connection between the wires (that would be connected to the screw holes at the top).

Until it is "wide open" and there you see that the metal bar on top of the plunger has caused the other metal peices to form a bridge directly connecting the two wires.

What can happen is those pieces get stuck together, either because the plunger is stuck, or I've seen them actually welded together. If that happens, I'm leary as something caused that to happen - when I saw that, the ceramic was cracked and there were scorch marks on the inside of the case - that one was used to see what they looked like inside.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
the pedal issue is not because of the knee/floor issue. ...

What can happen is those pieces get stuck together, either because the plunger is stuck, or I've seen them actually welded together. If that happens, I'm leary as something caused that to happen - when I saw that, the ceramic was cracked and there were scorch marks on the inside of the case - that one was used to see what they looked like inside.
Wow! Thanks so much for such a detailed response. I can see what you mean in the pictures but can't orientate it inside my head. Does that show the underside of what's happening in the metal box that the knee controller slots into? I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out when I have the machine in front of me again. Also my dad is my electrics guy so even if I can't figure it out, I'm sure he will!! Thanks again
Old 08-25-2013, 04:13 AM

I'll add - being a 201 I'm assuming it's a newer style. If it is actaully a 201 put in a much older case that has a knee bar, then you do have to look at how it's wired up and make sure you are not plugging the motor into the light outlet - that is a direct connection and WILL cause the motor to run full speed indepentenly from the control - as you have totally bypassed the control doing so.

If you have a case with the knee bar, the controller inside will look and work about the same as the pictures I've showed.

On another note, you can get the newer style foot control and use that. I also can't stand the singer control with the little knob. My husband likes it. He puts his foot over both, and then rests on the solid knob and rocks his big toe side down to press in the control. So he rolls his foot back and forth to control the machine.

I'm use to pushing down with my whole toe end of the foot, and that does not work well. I end up putting my foot so only the pinky toe end is sitting on that knob - does not work well either.

My solution is a lot like yours, as most of my machines are in cabinets with control mounted up and a knee lever installed.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:17 AM

If yours is in a case - this might be helpful also

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...a-t227816.html
Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 AM

Here is my 201 cabinet - with a knee controller. You can see, that is a foot controller mounted up there.

From the top side.

If you take the foot controller out of the bracket and take out the screws from the bottom side and open it up, it will look a lot like the first pictures I showed.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:02 AM

Having not seen either machine or motor I can assure you the motors are completely interchangeable.
That little post that seems to just get in the way is to rest your foot on. Took me a few weeks of almost sewing my fingers together to realise how it worked. Rest your foot on it and pivot onto the button and you'll have much better control over the motor speed.
Failing this, I have several Wertheim (Aussie made) foot controllers that work and two Brothers (actually I do have two brothers but they'd be much less effective at controlling your motor than the Brother foot controllers) as well as a spare Singer motor from a 66 (with light still attached).

Regarding the munge, I actually love cleaning the inevitable mess from under the feed dogs. It's like a really great nose blow when you're in the last stage of a cold. You know everything's going to be much better immediately after it, and in the case of your sewing machine the aluminium based unit will be so much better for it.

Bring me your motor and I shall show you the path to the promised land: A land of no clatter; A land where steel plunges both effortlessly and silently through cloth.

The price for all this salvation is part of your Friday (only one, but lunchtime). Might even have my new 222k and/or Necchi by then