Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I love the older Kenmores .... >

I love the older Kenmores ....

I love the older Kenmores ....

Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 PM

Default I love the older Kenmores ....

We just traded into two 158-17xxx Kenmore ZZ with cam machines. One really used, dirty and gummed up, the other in much nicer cosmetic condition and less used. Both are now cleaned, serviced and initially tested. Both are soooooooo very quiet compared to the same vintage ( early 70s ) Singers. Both are all metal, no plastic 'cept the cams.

I'm also testing a Kenmore 158-15000 cam machine with some additional cams that we also got during the trade. This machine isn't quite as good as the others, but it's still all metal and far better than the same vintage Singers.

We've got several more and now comes the hard part ........ Deciding which "ONE" to keep. All the others must be adopted out.

(( Wifie just read this and snickered .... think she knows something I don't? ))

Joe
Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

I would agree - the Kenmores of the 1970s are much better made than the Singer's of that era. Why do you need to keep one?
Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 AM

Joe - I leaned to sew on a Kenmore 158-13010! I don't know what happened to my mothers machine but a couple of years ago I went on a mission to find one just like it. And I was successful! I got it from goodwill.com in a table for $11.00! It was the goodwill in my city so I didn't have to pay shipping. I took it directly to the OSMG and had it cleaned. When I sew on it, it takes me back to when I was 7 yo, sewing simple summer tops and wrap dresses for my dolls. My mother passed away when I was 12 and due to her lifelong battle with severe mental illness, I don't have many happy memories of my mother and me. But this sewing machine helps bring back those happier times that got clouded by the bad. I love how it sews, so quiet too. This machine isn't just a sewing machine to me, it is also a time machine!!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:11 AM

I still have my kenmore from 1977, heavy but runs like a champ...also a 15 year old computer machine that I use for classes...back when I bought the computer you could get home service which was a good feature while it lasted out here in the boonies LOL
Old 05-05-2013, 05:58 AM

Miriam,

I need to pick the one with the best features .... IE: patterns and keep that one. Well, I guess there is no "need" to it, we just want the one that makes the best patterns.

auntpiggylpn,

I know what you mean. Sometimes memories of pleasant times past can keep us from becoming dull and depressed in the now.

I have my mom's HOTHER machine, my avatar pic, and when I sew on it I think of her sewing things. She used to make the neatest things. She could just sit down and do it. I'd try to figure out how to do it, and she'd already have it done.

Linda,
I find the heavier machines sew better for me. They are quieter, don't vibrate as much, and don't tend to scoot all over the table ( if they are portables ) as the plastic wonders. I'll avoid comment on the computer machines.

Joe
Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I had one once that you could make the cam stitches longer or shorter or something (I can't remember) it was pretty cool - changed the whole pattern - that would be the one I pick. It had the green pattern disks.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 AM

The two we just got can elongate or compress the patterns and they use the blue green large cams. One has all the attachments to do chain stitches too. I haven't tried that yet. I think that's the one were gonna keep.

Joe
Old 05-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
The two we just got can elongate or compress the patterns and they use the blue green large cams. One has all the attachments to do chain stitches too. I haven't tried that yet. I think that's the one were gonna keep.

Joe
Joe, I think you have made up your mind. That would be my pick, too. Some of them are very heavy - consider a table with a lift built in.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

I have three Kenmores..A 158-1941. a 158-18000. and another one that is a 37something.....I love them...All were bought at thrift stores and are in great condition....
Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Here is my pride and joy bought brand new in 1972 been through a lot together and many moves,only needed belts change twice and second set just a few months ago did I say my pride and joy