Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I love sewing on my Grannie's machine....but... >

I love sewing on my Grannie's machine....but...

I love sewing on my Grannie's machine....but...

Old 06-14-2010, 07:30 AM

I swear I think I spend as much time tinkering with it as I do sewing! Its a Singer 15 clone...was badged Royal and it does a beautiful stitch. I put it in a treadle cabinet as the wiring going in the motor was dry rotted. I sewed on it yesterday. hemmed some curtains, put the final binding on a quilt no issues. Today I can't do anything. It won't make a stitch without breaking the thread. I've rethreaded top and bottom, tried different cloth. I've used this thread on it before with no problems. So here I sit trying to put binding on a mat cover I made for a get together I'm going to Friday. I also need to get 20 4p blocks done for this and since its a treadle gathering I NEED to make them on a treadle! grrr! okay after fiddling with it some more...it is not feeding fabric through it....feed dogs are up. I've noticed at times it seems to want to stop feeding fabric though.....Billy...help!

Edited to add: I am SUCH a dummie! Why do I forget that I have kids who just LOVE to touch and play with the machine? It was set to reverse sew! I guess I was holding the fabric....so all it was doing was breaking the thread.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 AM

Sorry, but I just had to laugh at that one!! I had one little son who loved to sit under the table when I sewed, and everything I took my foot off the power food, he would press it down with his hand. Had lots of thread messes from that ! LOL And two weeks ago , I was measuring and cutting squares, and than suddenly I couldn't find the tape measure. I looked high and low for two weeks, fianally bought another one. Found one of 5 year olds GS little cars under the bed, and as I was putting it in the proper box with his other cars, lo and behold! there was my tape measure. When I was telling him later where I found my tape measure, that sweet, innocent, smile appeared on his face. He knew exactly where he put it!LOL
Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 AM

At least you know there really are gremlins in your sewing room! Guess you now know you have to check every switch and lever before you start sewing every time.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 AM

yes with the electric machine they can't change settings if its off but on this machine there's a little lever to move up and down and a dial to twist and the treadle is just irrestible! I have finally learned to unthread it when I stop..otherwise it is a thread mess.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:39 AM

Aren't kids precious,lol!! I hope you keep your SCISSORS out of reach!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 AM

My grandkids aren't quite old enough yet to mess with my machines, but I will keep all these safety measures in mind when they are!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 AM

A box or block under the treadle itself keeps them from playing with it too! :)
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 AM

My grandkids used to like to detach the feet on my machines and loose them. Got to a point where I removed them myself and put them where they couldn't touch them!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Sorry!!! But I had to giggle over this :lol::lol:
I am happy that you got it figured out :D:D:D
Old 06-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Sorry, but I just had to laugh at that one!! I had one little son who loved to sit under the table when I sewed, and everything I took my foot off the power food, he would press it down with his hand. Had lots of thread messes from that ! LOL And two weeks ago , I was measuring and cutting squares, and than suddenly I couldn't find the tape measure. I looked high and low for two weeks, fianally bought another one. Found one of 5 year olds GS little cars under the bed, and as I was putting it in the proper box with his other cars, lo and behold! there was my tape measure. When I was telling him later where I found my tape measure, that sweet, innocent, smile appeared on his face. He knew exactly where he put it!LOL
I still haven't found mine that I used yesterday and my grandson hasn't been here since before I used it!!