I made a video....

Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcurious View Post
What a beautiful machine, now if you could do some FMQ, that would be really exciting!
FMQ! I barely know what that is, let alone how to do it.
my sewing aptitude is. Hhmmmm I can stick two things together. Mostly two large pieces of lighyweiht ripstop nylon to make tarps and tents, once I got really creative and made a stuff sack.

Keep talking though you guys/gals have almost got me convinced that a bunch of old uniforms would make an interesting camo quilt.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Your video turned out great and I enjoyed seeing you sew. I request that you make another one and focus the camera on your feet treadling. I have a treadle and I'm learning, but my rhythm is not great yet. I'd like to see how you do it.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:17 PM

hmm well the foot thing is easy, as long as all you are doing is running a stitch down a length of old pillowcase....
Actually the best advice I have had is to use Both feet one forward and one back. I use my left forward and push down on the front of the pedal, and my right back, and push down on the back of the pedal ( obviously at opposite times ) it is more of a bicycle action than anything. Good luck
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Dan, my speed is about the same as yours!! LOL I am learning too, and I don't have much speed yet. I like it, though, and really enjoyed your video. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 PM

If I ever get any better and speed becomes an issue, the old treadle model 27 handwheel fits this machine and gears it up a bit, easier treadling (because of the weight not the gearing) and faster

PS.
I got my cams in the mail today, so I have the first 10 decorative stitches...including ZZ) pretty excited.

Last edited by greywuuf; 04-09-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Great video. thanks for posting. That's how I do my feet on my treadle too. Sometimes I get "cocky" and try to do it with one foot. Can't keep it up for long though.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 PM

I've been using a treadle machine since 2007 and I can sew at a pretty good clip when I'm sewing long straight pieces. I have my right foot slightly ahead of my left. I can treadle one footed, have more control with both feet. I have 2 Singer cabinets and 1 Franken-treadle. I prefer the Singer machines. One of my machines is a 237 zig zag very easy to use.
You can see some of my machines in my Webshots albums. The White VS-III isn't sewing yet.
Sharon W.
http://www.webshots.com/user/purpy102
Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 PM

thank you for chiming in Sharon, I have not used this machine a lot since I made that video, I have been Futzing about with my 128's and working on the industrial treadle I have. Hopefully soon i will get a real project together and see what the old girl can really do. I Did retime and adjust several things and am now pretty sure I am 100% on the ZigZag and fancy stitches.... before it was iffy past about half width on the ZZ.

Dan

Last edited by greywuuf; 05-22-2012 at 06:37 PM.