Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need help again

I need help again

I ask for help on here and got what I needed.

This time I may not be so lucky.

I have a short arm quilting machine. My motor is getting hot. I can only do 3 rows before I have to stop and let it cool down. I have the information off the motor, just can't find one on google.

Even thought my machine is a Singer 911 comercial the motor is much smaller than the clutch type motor that mounts on a comercial sewing table. It is belt driven and mounted on the back side of the machine. It's a Groschop or Croschop. I couldn't tell what the first letter was. It's a 90 vdc, 1.09 amp, 70 watt, 3500 rpm.

Anyone have any idea where I might find one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Maybe your belt is too tight making the motor work too hard. Can you adjust the belt to loosen it?

Colleen

No in fact the belt is a little loose. Not enough for it to slip but I can hold the wheel and move the belt by hand.

Blog Entries
    Does it need some grease?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

If it’s been a while since you serviced it, you might be getting enough additional drag combined with a slow sewing speed to make the motor hot. I think I would do a full service (clean out lint, apply oil and grease where needed) on the machine to make sure it’s turning freely before I did anything with the motor.

Lint buildup between the feeddog base and the needle plate can cause gradual loss of performance, but I don’t know if your machine even has feeddogs if it’s being used for FMQ.

I’m not familiar with the Singer 911 machine, do you have a photo?

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post

Iím not familiar with the Singer 911 machine, do you have a photo?

CD in Oklahoma
    Singer 911

Googling Singer 911 comes up with this image. Motor should be powerful enough without over-heating.

Not sure I would put one of those motors on a sewing machine. Porchse 911s?
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfay View Post
    I ask for help on here and got what I needed.

This time I may not be so lucky.

I have a short arm quilting machine. My motor is getting hot. I can only do 3 rows before I have to stop and let it cool down. I have the information off the motor, just can't find one on google.

Even thought my machine is a Singer 911 comercial the motor is much smaller than the clutch type motor that mounts on a comercial sewing table. It is belt driven and mounted on the back side of the machine. It's a Groschop or Croschop. I couldn't tell what the first letter was. It's a 90 vdc, 1.09 amp, 70 watt, 3500 rpm.

Anyone have any idea where I might find one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The only thing that creates heat on a sewing machine is friction. Whether it is lint, dust, or whatever, your motor is being forced to work too hard. That is why it gets hot. Please stop using it until you can clean it out or have someone do it for you. Right now you have a very dirty motor, if you keep using it, you will be buying a new motor. Much cheaper to have it cleaned.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results are your fault. Change is the wings you give yourself.

We've done searches from ISMACS to Google to, well several others and have yet to come up with any Singer 911.

Could you post a pick of your ailing machine and recheck the model number?

I agree with the poster above that says a good cleaning and lubing should take care of it.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
    Singer 911

Googling Singer 911 comes up with this image. Motor should be powerful enough without over-heating.
    Man, if you dropped one of those on top of me, I'd overheat too! My floor might also not take it.

Most motors can be serviced, belts are the most common cause of too much heat and I agree, a good general service might just take care of the problem you know about and some potentially impending ones.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast