Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I need help choosing a Machine >

I need help choosing a Machine

I need help choosing a Machine

Old 04-23-2015, 05:36 PM

Thank you for that wesing, I would love to do that if Shipping these old heavy machines to Alaska was not so ungodly expensive ( or worse... most people wont... generally I have to ship them to a relative in the states and then forward them to me ) and the se
lection of local ones is ...well non existant.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:44 PM

this is an example of the machine I am interested in
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pfaff-230-Se...item3cf84a8b6c
Old 04-23-2015, 05:46 PM

I can see the attraction. That's a beauty.
Rodney
Old 04-23-2015, 05:50 PM

most of them are "Consew" hammered industrial Silver colored....... I think gloss black auto enamel would be in order.
the lever on the base near the pedastal is feed dog drop, the one on the arm lowers the bulb for changing, it has an "Automatic threader " built in ....most likely does not work but I dunno something about it says well built well designed and made of bolts and nuts to service .. not rivets and spot welds to replace...
Old 04-24-2015, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
No experience with any of the Pfaff's ?
I really think I want a 230-260
Yes, Pfaff 230, Pfaff 260, Necchi Supernova would be my top three.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
No experience with any of the Pfaff's ?
I really think I want a 230-260
I have a Pfaff 60 treadle, love that machine, its a straight stitch machine; it takes a longer belt than most treadles. I would really like to have a Pfaff 130 to treadle.
I don't have any experience with the zig zag Pfaff treadles. Here's the link to my flickr album. https://www.flickr.com/photos/391684...57651741547310
Sharon in Texas
Old 04-24-2015, 08:56 AM

Thank you Sharon that is a lovely machine, happy to know it treadles well, And thank you as well Manicmike, I think I will start hunting a 260 as a "job well done " treat for myself... when I finish this silly dress for my daughter.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I have a Davis I like on a treadle.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:52 PM

I too when I first joined this forum and started this journey was looking forward to finding
"The One" bestest favorite go to machine. For me it was my Supernova Necchi when I found her. WOW! NEVER had a machine that sewed so quietly and strongly and...and...and....then she as dethroned. Couldn't be helped.

I found a Bernina 740 Favorite. Price was right at 100.00 with a table and 300.00 worth of foot attachments, a manual etc. I had heard so much about them I decided to buy her because the price was doable and see for myself what all of the Bernina hoopla was about.

Nothing has compared since. I love lots of my other machines for different reasons. Touch and sews are a favorite, my Pfaff 131 is my draft horse, she sews anything I give her and is fast and simple to use, a pleasure for sure.

My darling little blushing celery featherweight, she is also a favorite for different reasons and always people fall in love when they see her for the first time. Lots of others just because they are fun to sew with like my BU Mira, the typewriter key machine ( that's what I call her), I love ALL drop in bobbin machines, love my treadles and well so many more.

But I keep going back to my Bernina, no tension adjustments hardly ever no matter what I use or sew with, simple to thread and the bobbin system is a kick to use, cool features that are so different and she is quiet and strong and will only fuss if I give her too many thicknesses of fabric.

What I love the best about the Bernina is how many different things she can do SIMPLY and how it is SOOOO simplified in the manual with great photos. I am over 60 and I find I cannot remember how to use each machine if there are several weeks or months in between uses as they are all different. Every time I have to get out the Supernova manual I get a headache, I want to sew with her but she is so fussy and wants everything her way. It is one of the worst manuals to search through that I have. So over complicated at least for me when compared to my others that I pass her by. I have two and both will be rehomed.

The Favorit has turned into my go to machine. I pull the cover off, sit down, grab the manual and she is up and running smoothly and happily in no time, which makes me VERY happy.

I have a new Juki computerized machine I need to learn and maybe she alone will be the one that could possibly upstage the Bernina. Time will tell.

I guess the moral of this story is prepare yourself for many different favorite go to machines and all for different reasons. The main problem as I see it is the room (space) to keep them set up and in use in.. They don't do anyone any good just wasting away in a barn or storage shed or back bedroom or a trailer ( says she who has 30 stored right now in a cargo trailer waiting to be rehomed or rewired or cleaned and evaluated....my bad.

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 04-24-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 PM

My Pfaff 332 is my favorite machine but my Necchi BU is second favorite, so I think either one would be a good choice. Beware that the timing belt for the Pfaff is cleated cotton or nylon and ones it goes, there's no replacement. Never ever get it wet while cleaning or oiling as that will shorten its life. Otherwise, fantastic machines. Keep the Necchi oiled and it will perform perfectly. Mine is very good for free motion quilting.