Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I need help choosing a Machine >

I need help choosing a Machine

I need help choosing a Machine

Old 04-23-2015, 03:00 AM

Default I need help choosing a Machine

Hi, I am looking for my ONE machine, I have enjoyed starting my collection of singers, and whites,
but I am looking for my "go to" I am looking for a vintage'ish machine, all metal something I can treadle.
Something I can use for most stuff. I like my singer 27 and 28's ( 128's mostly) but I find myself using the 306w alot because I use the zigzag to overcast raw edges.....I also do a lot of "fake" bar tacks on outdoor gear. the 306's weird needle size and dependance on cams do not excite me a lot and it hates heavy thread. I have recently been looking at the Necchi BU series of machines as a possible candidate but honestly I don't trust Italian stuff ( VW and Porsche over a Ferrari ANY day ) I recently stumbled upon the Pfaff 230 series machines and have been thinking of those. Does anyone have comments suggestions or idea's ?

Dan the eclectic
in Alaska
Old 04-23-2015, 04:55 AM

Dan the eclectic
in Alaska,

I like that ...

Dan, I'm in the same boat. I have so many machines I like that I don't have a go-to machine. Sometimes my sewing projects get stimied cos I can't decide which machine I want to use.

Anyway, the needle situation with the 306 can be remedied. Forum member ManicMike has discussed it several times.
I finally got a spare bobbin case to do the modification on and I will report on it when I'm done.
As for the thread preference, I've run into that too. Sometimes a complete tension readjustment will fix it, sometimes not.

There are some early Singer and others brands ZZs that are treadleable, but the one I want is the 206. It looks like the old black straight stitch machines and looks right at home in a treadle. But so far I haven't had any luck latching on to one.

Joe
Old 04-23-2015, 05:15 AM

We had a Singer 237 that was a wonderful sewer (picked up for $25, but it was well used), and it is treadle-able. Ended up selling it to a niece and she's used it for all sort of projects - she loves buying clothing at thrift stores and remaking it into clothing she can wear - she's 17 and has found a real love for sewing.

We advised another Niece (different family, but they live two houses apart) and she picked up a really nice one in a cabinet for $100 (looked near unused), and then got it all fixed up herself and she loves the machine too - her's went with her to college.

HOWEVER - I think some may be Italian made machines BTW, the older Italian made Necchis are wonderful machines. I don't think you'd go wrong with one of them, and some do come treadleable too - an added plus.

The holes for the treadle belt

My husband has gone through this one and was impressed at the quality.

If you get one, make sure to get the "goodies" that go with it - they can be rather expensive to buy separately.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:24 AM

BTW, the older Italian made Necchis are wonderful machines. I don't think you'd go wrong with one of them

I have the Necchi Leila 515 and I just love that machine. However, I haven't been able to find the cams and a few of the other accessories that weren't with the machine when I purchased it.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM
Banned

I concur. The older Necchi's have manufacturing tolerances equivalent to or better than German machines of the day.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:16 AM

Ooh, Cathy, a lilac machine! So pretty!

I haven't had the nerve to get a treadle as yet, so can't help with that. So many awesome machines, and it's so wonderful that all you nice people are saving them from the landfill! Saving memories of our history, as well.

kudos to all!
Old 04-23-2015, 11:31 AM

No experience with any of the Pfaff's ?
I really think I want a 230-260
Old 04-23-2015, 05:18 PM

Sounds like you have your mind made up.
Some of the Japanese zigzag machines are very easy to convert to treadle too. Just look for one that has the motor on the back like a Singer does and make sure the base will clear the belt.
Rodney
Old 04-23-2015, 05:28 PM

The Pfaffs are built like a tank and will never wear out. Several of their older machines will ZZ and do decorative stitches. Most times they are more expensive to buy than the old Singers, I guess because there are fewer of them out there. You can find a bargain if you're diligent. I snagged a 130 in a decent cabinet off CL for $45. It has an ugly, blue, cheap, underpowered, after-market motor on it, so I am in the market for a genuine Pfaff black motor, but it is a very nice machine. You could always buy, try, and sell until you find the one you bond with.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:34 PM

not made up. yet. I have read a nice report of someone treadling an old necchi BU, I like the high end "Cachet" if you will, but I am also looking for a solid and no to "gadgety" machine. I do like the BU seines built in ZZ, but I do not like the "wonderwheel" add on cam thing. I just happened on the Pfaff 230-260 with a built in embroidery and ZZ function..... kinda drawn to that. but if people here say the Pfaff's are junk and the Necchi is a better machine I can live with that as well.... in either case I would look for a Cheap one and do a complete strip and paint. of the two which has more common needle / bobbin / accsy fitment? ....certainly a igger selection of old Necchi's available on line right now, but my German heritage and my unnatural love of Porsche and classic VW got me to thinking of the Pfaffs