Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I spruced up my treadle base

I spruced up my treadle base

I don't know if this should be in another thread - maybe the mods could move for me? Anyway I've been trying to figure out how to improve my treadle base without taking it apart, sanding, painting, etc. Then I saw something I think here on how about using Stove and Grill Polish. I got a bottle of Rutland brand. It says projects and renews unpainted cast iron. I think most of the paint was gone from my treadle base although it wasn't rusty. It looked "dusty" all the time. I figured I had nothing to lose. It is a black liquid I painted on with one of those foam brushes. It looks pretty nifty I think. Not shiny like a new paint job, but, a matte finish and doesn't look dusty anymore. I couldn't get any good "before" pictures. So far I am pleased. I guess I'll see how it wears.

So...what about the "after" pictures?

Blog Entries
    thats what I used on mine, had a claim "covers rust" and it looks great, like brand new
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Had a stovepipe leak in summer cabin last winter and had used it on the new woodstove- looks great. Never thought to used it on treadle base!

Three pictures of before and after

I hope the first one comes up as "before" and the second two are "after". There isn't good light where the treadle is and the pictures don't come out so great. I am happy with the sprucing up. It doesn't look dusty to me anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

It looks beautiful!

Nicely done!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Looks great.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

That does look nice! Mine always look dusty, too - and so do the undersides of all my cast iron machines. Maybe it would work for that, too!

You can use Krylon Gold Leaf pens to paint the designs with the gold details - they're easy to use and as long as you get the cap back on tight, you can open it and re-start it many times.

I plan to use one coat of the copper color and then a coat or two of gold over that - that will give you a nice aged gold instead of the bright brassy gold that you get from gold alone. But try it and see which way you like it best.

There are pictures of the Krylon and Posh Impressions brands of these leafing pens here: http://polymerclayexpress.com/pens.html Either one would be fine.

Blog Entries
    put a clear coat over it to protect it . I used a flat black spray paint . DottieBug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast