Ideas for this table?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:06 PM

Default Ideas for this table?

I've spent a long time repairing the Bernina that came out of this table. I've got the machine fixed finally, and am just so turned off by the looks of this table that I'm having problems visualizing what to do. I've refinished and refurbed several vintage tables and usually have some sort of goal in mind. I'm not fully against painting it if I thought it would end up looking better. With this table the end goal would be to not hate it like I do now. LOL. I don't like the color at all, I don't like the hardware and I don't like the lines of it, or the pegs. I know I can't really change the pegs or the feet on it, but I don't know if changing out the hardware to something else would even be worth it. Hardware is not cheap and if it's still an ugly table...well....

Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails img_8297.jpeg  
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM

The maple and colonial design is not my favorite either. I can see the cabinet with a cherry or darker finish and new hardware. Perhaps just covering the pegs and scallops on the bottom with pieces of veneer would give a better look.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

For me it would depend on what other finishes were on the furniture in my sewing room. I would try to refurbish it to match whatever I already have.
What colour is the machine? I might paint it either black or white depending on the machine colour.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:04 PM

Here's the machine. Most of the furniture in my house is very modern (clean lines, metal or non-wood) and if there's wood the wood is very dark.
Attached Thumbnails img_8299.jpeg  
Old 05-12-2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
The maple and colonial design is not my favorite either. I can see the cabinet with a cherry or darker finish and new hardware. Perhaps just covering the pegs and scallops on the bottom with pieces of veneer would give a better look.
I think the pegs are horrible:<
Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM

I'd take the base off and replace it something solid. You may only need to take the front piece off, trim the edges of the side pieces and fit another front piece to it that is flush with the cabinet - not sticking out to be flush with the drawers (like it is now).

The hardware ... ich.

To make it more modern looking (to match your decor) you might consider refinishing the drawers in one color and the remainder of the cabinet in another. Perhaps a very dark cabinet housing with almost bleached drawers, finished with a crisp brushed steel or black hardware that has simple lines to it.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:59 PM
yel

you could remove the pegs and put in plugs or [just a small piece of a dowel rod ....]paint it if you don't like it .....myself i like the wood look but paint is cheap and check the trader baker or restore or yard sales for new [to you hardware ] i could see that machine in a black cabinet with some knobs to match one color of the machine [green perhaps]
Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 PM

I don't think I'm game for cutting wood or serious redoing of the base. Cutting dowels and putting them in the peg areas to be flush is a good idea. I also don't need to match the machine to the table. I'd prefer to match the machine to what I have already in the house. I'll have to price hardware. I've been able to redo existing hardware in the past, but this hardware is not worth touching!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 PM

Definitely paint and put some sort of modern looking pulls on drawers.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Afraid I don't have any suggestions but had to smile at the drawer pulls because they were the same ones we had (my sisters & I) on our dressers and desks when we were growing up. Believe my parents bought them in 1959.