Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I'm confusled ..... or my Minnesota B has spooks inside. >

I'm confusled ..... or my Minnesota B has spooks inside.

I'm confusled ..... or my Minnesota B has spooks inside.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Default I'm confusled ..... or my Minnesota B has spooks inside.

Yesterday I felt a bit better. So rather than sit watching the brain sucking box I thought I'd finish off a Whacky Bag I have started. I had Minerva my Minnesota B sitting ready
[ATTACH=CONFIG]469102[/ATTACH]
so I threaded her up, put in a semi full bobbin and started sewing.

Well for some reason none of my seams were lining up. One piece was way to long, the other too short.
All were pieced with 3.5" squares and I use a fabric guide that I measure with a ruler that has a hole punched at the 1/4" point. That way I can be consistent regardless of what machine I use.

Nothing lined up. So rather than get bent out of shape, I walked away. When my wife came home I showed her what was happening and we were going to redo some of it.
But, Minerva would not run. Dead. Nothing, no hum, no groans, no moans, just like it was unplugged.

But it was. We checked the extension cords, they were good. Wiggled all the machine cords, nothing.

I was about to take the machine down to my work bench in the basement this morning when I decided to check it up stairs a little more.
I plugged it into the same extension cord which was plugged into the same wall socket ..... and she took right off like nothing had happened.

I'm totally stumped. I do have a theory, that's that the brushes in the motor are either really dirty or well worn. I'll have to check them. Other than that, I'm clueless.

Does my machine have spooks in it maybe????

Joe
Attached Thumbnails minerva-upper-front-_-web.jpg  

Last edited by J Miller; 03-27-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:21 PM

intermittent electrics can be annoying. Sometimes somethings a little loose. But you know how often these golden oldies can also have crispy wiring. Process of elimination means double checking for loose connections. When it becomes a "hard" fsilure it eill be easier to pin down
Old 03-27-2014, 01:49 PM

It's really fun when it's your car doing it. This was with the controls on the driver's door - windows, mirrors, door locks.

Sometimes the wire gets broke inside the insulation - so you can't see it from the outside. And if its laying just right, the two ends touch enough for it to work, and it it's not, then it does not. Our car has done this twice on us now, and we know it's because the wires get bent back and forth every time the door is opened and closed. The insualtion handles it just fine, not the wires inside. Replace some wires and she's good to go for another 100,000 miles, though at this point we figure it will last the life of the car since it's got 230,000 miles on it now.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:18 PM

I know all about weird car wiring problems. I could write a novel about those I've fixed.

After getting Minerva plugged in and running, I did some preventive checking. The needle was bent. It's a newish almost not used MTx190 and somehow got bent. I put a new one it it.

Then I did some more piecing and she sewed just fine. Sigh .............

I will go through all the wiring next time I get the machine on my bench. Something caused it to not run.

Joe
Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 PM

You missed all my 201 drama Joe, but I was convinced the lady was cursed.

My superstitious side named her the day that things started to go more wrong than right. The day I decided to re-name her she decided to play nicely and get her stuff together. She was Poppet, now she's Pandy (short for Pandora). She approves.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:40 PM

Intermittent problems are the worst. You'll get it fixed. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I've had some when I was doing cable TV where I never knew what the exact cause was. I just replaced everything until it worked.
Rodney
Old 03-29-2014, 05:00 PM

Smells like a faulty extension cord to me. Or....it could just be hokus pokus. (I'm trying to humor you.)
Old 03-30-2014, 04:20 PM

Maybe in her own way she was telling you that you weren't quite ready for too much sewing yet? (LOL)
Old 03-31-2014, 06:48 AM

tropit,

I think something cord related was the cause. Not sure what though cos now it's working.

GEMRM,

You could well be right. I still "want" to do things, but just don't "feel" up to it.

Joe
Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 AM

Could be spooks. I have a treadle that runs by itself late at night if I don't close it up after I'm done.