Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm giving my Grand kids an early inheritance.

Blog Entries

I'm giving my Grand kids an early inheritance.

Today two of my DGKs came over. It was nice out so we went out back with tools and machines. Wilbur sat on my lap and we worked on a derelict Singer 15 - the machine had no moving parts. The machine has been cleaned and oiled but still does not turn. I told Wilbur the machine needs time out. He understands time out. He got off my lap and headed for a Singer 66. It needs oil... he got a can of oil and baptized the needle bar. The next time he turned the machine oil was flinging all over the place and some shot up out of the needle bar pocket about 3 ft. I reminded him we only use one drop on each part... He doesn't seem to get that yet. He will be 4 in November.
    Name:  little sewing machine mechanics 004.JPG
Views: 1293
Size:  128.8 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Miss L has been cleaning up machines in my shop for about a year now. She loves to clean out lint and polish things up. Today she cleaned, oiled and polished a little Singer 99. At one point she pulled a big long thread out from the bobbin case . Then I told her to see if the machine turned now. Suddenly her efforts were rewarded! The machine now turns and the pressure foot now goes up and down, too. She gave the machine one of her best hugs. I love it. GKs rock.

Name:  little sewing machine mechanics 009.JPG
Views: 1320
Size:  138.7 KB
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I might need her to visit me. I hate machine cleaning.

They are too cute, Miriam. I don't get to see my grandkids very often. They are 1500 miles away. The DGD brought her family for a vacation with us around the 4th of July and I thought the 11 yr old GGD would like to sew a little. She did the paper, sewing on lines, etc. But, alas, I think the swimming, fishing and 4-wheeling was way more fun. Maybe next year she will have a little more desire for the machine. And the 4 yr old..... she's too busy........

Blog Entries
    I didn't have such good luck with 8 year old Mercy. I figured she could be on her own. I set her up with that Singer 66 redeye with a turn knob. She didn't think she had enough Grandma time I guess. She went off in a pout. I had Wilbur on my lap and Lovie was 'getting it' so I let her go off. We had a talk later and she should be ok for another time. She did get pretty creative with a piece of card paper and the 66. Mercy has some vision problems and is not quite ready for sewing with speed. I was amazed at the control she got when she used the hand crank though. I think she might be ready for thread next time - but I sure don't need a 3 ring circus then either.

They are adorable!
    Sheila

Your grandbabies are beautiful Miriam!!!
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

It's wonderful that you let him help you with maintaining the sewing machines. Kids build confidence by 'helping' and learning. I tell my grands that you can never learn too much and involve them with stuff I'm doing whenever possible.

I love the hardhat! Powertools with thread, as my guy sewers say in the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    GKs rock.

Name:  little sewing machine mechanics 009.JPG
Views: 1320
Size:  138.7 KB
    From what I'm seeing here they do. Would it kill her to rest her head on it too?
    My Singers: 12k (1883), VS2 Roses and Daisies (1891), VS2 Victorian (1891), Improved Family (15-1, 1886), 15k (1917), 27 Tiffany (1900), 29k58, 96k41 (1947), 96k41 (1949), 201k (1953), 201p (1958) 206k11 (1950), 222k (1954), 222k (1959), 306k, 320k2(1959), 401g (1960), 411g
    Others: Empisal (1960s), Bernina Record 530-2, Pfaff 60, Pfaff 260, Lemair (1960s), Husqvarna 19e

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast