Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I'm a Newbie

I'm a Newbie

I just bought this great treadle machine.....don't know if it works yet and will approach that down the road. However,I want to paint the metal frame/treadle. Can anyone tell me the best way to take the cabinet off the frame. The screws appear to be between the drawers and the metal, but up high/deep...more so than I can easily reach. I appreciate any help you can offer.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    Linda

Refinishing treadle irons and cabinet

Here's something to get you started til you get more responses. I used stove polish on mine, after cleaning them off. I like the results and I didn't have to take it apart. I can't see if yours have rust on them - that would be a different story. Good luck and post after pictures!!
    Alyce

I take off the drawers so I can easily get at the screws.

I put towels in the bottom of my tub/shower and then scrubbed and scrubbed to get the base cleaned and loose paint removed. Then spray painted it with several coats of Rustoleum "Hammered" spraypaint. The one I fixed up had been stored in a shed for about 15 South Dakota winters, and it was quite rusted and needed serious help. All the gilding was gone and I didn't try to recreate it, just went straight black

This base was very dirty but in nice shape (top was junk though). This one still showed a lot of gilding, however it was also about 40 years newer than the first one.

This is the same base - it cleaned up rather nicely!

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments

While traditional, the base doesn't have to be black. I did one in a nice deep red and it looked great. (Can't find a photo just now)