Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm so lucky... found a FW for 40$

I'm so lucky... found a FW for 40$

After finding a very nice Bernina 730 record a week ago, luck hit me again this morning. I was, as usual, working on my computer, becoming bored, etc. The ad that catch my eye was saying something like: "Old singer sewing machine from the '50" I recognize the case, so I clicked on it. It was very laconic (usually the sign of somebody not knowing what he/she is selling): "Antique sewing machine. Need adjustment. Very rare!" From the picture, there was no visible missing part. Anyway, for 40$, I could manage some! It was two hours and half drive from my home, but I have a young brother living there and he is on parental leave this week so I gave him a call. He was very doubtful at first ("Really? You want to buy a old sewing machine like that?") I told him these sold for 250-300$ on ebay. He understood right away my interest He told me he was going to take care of it and sent me a mail two hours later telling me he it was now in his hands. Yippeee!
    I'm very excited about this "mysterious" FW that I now own but haven't seen yet. I'll ask my brother tomorrow to take some pics of it because I don't think I'll be able to wait for three weeks to go get it (I have a weekend at my brother's house already planned).

You better play the lottery while you're on your hot streak! WOW!!!!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Congrats!!! What a good brother you have!!
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Lucky Lady!!! Show us some pictures once you get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
    Congrats!!! What a good brother you have!!
    When I read that my first thought was of a 1959 Brother Galaxie. Maybe I should settle down a bit.
    My Singers: 12k (1883), VS2 Roses and Daisies (1891), VS2 Victorian (1891), Improved Family (15-1, 1886), 15k (1917), 27 Tiffany (1900), 29k58, 96k41 (1947), 96k41 (1949), 201k (1953), 201p (1958) 206k11 (1950), 222k (1954), 222k (1959), 306k, 320k2(1959), 401g (1960), 411g
    Others: Empisal (1960s), Bernina Record 530-2, Pfaff 60, Pfaff 260, Lemair (1960s), Husqvarna 19e

Wow, really your a lucky one

Congrats on an amazing find!! You are going to love your FW - I'm working on lap quilts for Christmas presents on mine right now and they (I own three) always put me in a good frame of mind.

Lucky you! I bought a FW on an on-line auction for my sister last spring and delivered it to her this summer. It sews, but I think it has the wrong bobbin, as it gets birds' nests underneath. My DH purchased another FW from some friends (they go to a lot of estate sales)...He told our friend HE would buy it and I could use it ( ). Then, in late August, one of my coworkers (who had been GIVEN a FW!) offered to sell it to me for what I paid for the one I got for my sister. It was a no-brainer, because the FW she was given had ALL the attachments, several bobbins, the manual (and even some old thread!). I told my sister about it, and a bit of history (the original owner had purchased it in WW II). My sister response was "Can I sell the one you brought out, and buy this one?" I told her yes...and then told my coworker what I had done. She wanted to know why I wasn't keeping it...told her DH had already got one I could use, and my sister liked the historical bit of hers....AND I assured her my sis would take as good care of the machine as I would.
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Congrats, really great deal!

Profannie, you have wonderful luck!!!

Am very excited for you. :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast