Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Information on Sterling Treadle Sewing Machine?

  1. #1
    HopeToLearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    28
    Does anyone have any information (or can tell me where I can find information) on Sterling Treadle sewing machines? I have found one in good condition. Both the machine and cabinet are very nice. They need a little TLC but nothing major. Everything I've read has been about Singer machines. I've learned quite a bit, but have not found any usable machines. I understand they are the most prolific so parts and accessories would be more plentiful. But even so, it seems to me everything of any quality has been purchased already since I'm so late to the party! lol! Anyway, I've learned there are differences in quality and performance in the Singer models and there are some to avoid and some to prefer. With the Sterling, I have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,265
    I don't know much about them myself, but is it possible that the machine is actually a rebuilt Singer? I found one with a weird name but turned out is was an authorized Singer rebuilt by a company no longer in business. On this board there is separate category for vintage machines and you might find your answer there.

  3. #3
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,149
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_pr...p?usernum=8782

    Contact Billy Lost in51 here and see if he can help you out!!

  4. #4
    HopeToLearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ktbb
    I don't know much about them myself, but is it possible that the machine is actually a rebuilt Singer? I found one with a weird name but turned out is was an authorized Singer rebuilt by a company no longer in business. On this board there is separate category for vintage machines and you might find your answer there.
    Yes, I suppose it could be. I figured it must be made by one of the few leading manufacturers of the time, just sold under someone else's name. But I'd like to find out. I'd also like to find out what machine it is a clone of, if possible.

    How can I find this Vintage Machine Category? I didn't see anything, but I'm new here and not familiar with how this all works.

  5. #5
    HopeToLearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_pr...p?usernum=8782

    Contact Billy Lost in51 here and see if he can help you out!!
    Thank you! I'll give that a try!

  6. #6
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,566
    Blog Entries
    19
    Type 'vintage sit' in the search box and the huge thread about vintage machines be right there. You can ask there, plus read 650+ pages of talk about such machines.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by HopeToLearn
    How can I find this Vintage Machine Category? I didn't see anything, but I'm new here and not familiar with how this all works.
    Go to the home page for the QB and there is a list of subjects. If you move down the list there's a section of user defined topics and the vintage group is there. Billy, who another poster suggested you contact, is the resident expert on vintage machines so he should also be able to help.

  8. #8
    HopeToLearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    28
    I just PM'd Billy so will see what he has to say and in the meantime I'll check those topics. Thank you so much for the information

    Quote Originally Posted by ktbb
    Quote Originally Posted by HopeToLearn
    How can I find this Vintage Machine Category? I didn't see anything, but I'm new here and not familiar with how this all works.
    Go to the home page for the QB and there is a list of subjects. If you move down the list there's a section of user defined topics and the vintage group is there. Billy, who another poster suggested you contact, is the resident expert on vintage machines so he should also be able to help.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.