Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Inherited Great Grandmothers treadle sewing machine help!!! >

Inherited Great Grandmothers treadle sewing machine help!!!

Inherited Great Grandmothers treadle sewing machine help!!!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 AM

Smile Inherited Great Grandmothers treadle sewing machine help!!!

I was given a very nice surprise this week, my grandmothers treadle sewing machine. I would like to know if anyone can tell me anything about it. I do not know how to post pictures so all I can do is attempt to tell you about it: What I think is a serial number (as it is on a plate like my other machines) #12454002, when checked with ISMACS all it says is no serial 1900. The machine is a singer with the bullet like bobbin, it has a square casket top and the decals on the machine are one on the right side of machine of a Lion that looks like it is dressed as a spinx done in golds. The machine itself was working a few years ago as my uncle sewed some small pieces of leather with it. It has been stored in a garage and is needing some cleaning. DH vacuuming it out as I write this. He said he was going to polish it up with car wax to make her color sheen. Should I allow him to do this? Any recommendations from anyone? Thanks for your help. Oh and if I could post pics I would but I am too dumb to do that. Maybe soon my grandchildren will teach me how.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM

That was a sweet present, enjoy it.

According to the ISMACS chart that serial number dates it to 1894.

I would clean it with sewing machine oil and cotton balls before using car wax on it. And do not use anything with any form of abrasives or harsh chemicals in it. Your decals will die a horrible death if you do. Stay away from Simple Green and other cleaners of the like.

If it has Sphinx decals it's most likely a Model 27 or 127. I could be wrong ( hope not) but I've read that only the 15s and 127s used the Spinx decals.

I'd contact forum member Glenn for any questions on refurbishing the head and treadle base.

Here is his tutes on those: { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t186522.html }
and
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ts-t97670.html }

Read and ask questions before doing anything on something this precious.

Joe
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM

Sounds like a 27, 28 or 127. If the bobbin winder is on the bottom, it's a 27. If the spool winder is on the bottom, and it's 3/4 size its a 28. If the bobbin winder is towards the top, partially obscuring the sphinx, then its a 127. BTW, you are describing the Sphinx motif which is very pretty. Please post a picture.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 AM

For cleaning the outside of the machine and the cabinet, Joe's right. Glenn's instructions are great. As for cleaning the machine itself, I'd go to Muv's videos, HOW TO CLEAN UP and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav. You'll find them on the vintage page. When I got my treadle, her videos were so helpful to me. I have a 127 but the design on the front is different.... it's pheasants.

And, I see this is your first post.... Welcome. You have to be careful on this site. You'll become a vintage sewing machine addict...... I started with 1 vintage machine..... now I have 10. But it is a fun hobby, collecting these old beauties..... saving them from the garbage dump.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by meow meow View Post
I was given a very nice surprise this week, my grandmothers treadle sewing machine. I would like to know if anyone can tell me anything about it. I do not know how to post pictures so all I can do is attempt to tell you about it: What I think is a serial number (as it is on a plate like my other machines) #12454002, when checked with ISMACS all it says is no serial 1900. The machine is a singer with the bullet like bobbin, it has a square casket top and the decals on the machine are one on the right side of machine of a Lion that looks like it is dressed as a spinx done in golds. The machine itself was working a few years ago as my uncle sewed some small pieces of leather with it. It has been stored in a garage and is needing some cleaning. DH vacuuming it out as I write this. He said he was going to polish it up with car wax to make her color sheen. Should I allow him to do this? Any recommendations from anyone? Thanks for your help. Oh and if I could post pics I would but I am too dumb to do that. Maybe soon my grandchildren will teach me how.
Meow, you are so lucky to have inherited your grandmother's treadle. What a treasure to have. I have about 15 or so treadles and none of them belonged to anyone in my family, but I still love them all. To have something from your past is really awesome.

Joe and Dan are right. Your treadle is probably a 27/127 Sphinx. It could be a 15. I think some very early 15's also had the Sphinx decals. Does it have the tension on the face plate? If so it is a 15, if not it is a 27/127 depending on the placement of the bobbin winder. Please post a photo!

Jean has some really good advice too! Clean the machine with sewing machine oil and watch Muv's tutorials. I would not use anything else over the decals. Those decals are very fragile at this point and could silver. Use cotton balls changing to a clean one often so you don't go over anything with grunge on the cotton ball. I wanted so bad to clean up a Davis treadle I have. When I got the machine I started cleaning like crazy and I took off the decals completely before I even realized what I had done. It made me sick, but I learned! I still have the Davis Vertical Feed and use it all the time, but it is a plain black now! Never again will I clean a vintage machine with anything but sewing machine oil!

Nancy
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 PM

http://www.singerco.com/support/mach...bers/no-letter
According to Singer site it was made in 1894 going by serial Number. How great and take your time cleaning it. Got my Tri-flow oil to day and am going to oil all my machines with it. Welcome to site and it you look at little tree 4th from right on quick reply bar you can insert an image. Would love to see it.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:18 PM

Thank you all for the comments and advice. I do sew much want to post pictures of my "Louisa" I think is what I will name her and of my other babies that I have bought but I am tooooooooooo dumb to do so. Thus as soon as my grandson can make it over I will have to help me. Carol34446 I cant find any trees on my quick reply.

Last edited by meow meow; 01-01-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:46 PM

There is a post here from Canadiangirl showing her machines. The machine she has on there with the spinx decals resembles the one I have, however the bobbin winder on this one is at the top and mine is at the bottom or lower part of the head. Now I really want to learn to post pics so I can share "Louisa" with everyone the before's and after's of when we get her cleaned up. Thank you again for all the help. I am also going to attempt to bookmark the parts that Joe sent on how Glen cleans machines. Thank you everyone.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Banned

[ATTACH=CONFIG]385308[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385309[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385310[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385311[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails post-pic-one.jpg   post-pic-2.jpg   post-pic-3.jpg   post-pic-4.jpg  
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Banned

[ATTACH=CONFIG]385312[/ATTACH]

and here is how it worked.
Attached Thumbnails necci-sm-after.jpg