It's all your fault!!

Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 PM

Default It's all your fault!!

My first mistake was coming in here and reading about all the old machines. At first I was looking at the FWs, but then I remembered my first REAL machine, a Sears Kenmore 18030. The more I searched, the more I wanted it. Well, I finally got one!

Picked her up today and I have my work cut out for me. I'm going to be searching all over this topic; for one thing, she sews backwards!? I have a feeling it's something to do with crossed wires, or the feed dogs...or the foot control....or?

Plus, she really needs a good clean-out. So I'll be busy now, thanks to all of you, and I can't thank you all enough for cranking up my nostalgia level.

Renate
Old 08-30-2013, 04:01 PM

Sews backwards?!? Could it be the little reverse thingymabob is just stuck? Sorry to be so technical! LOL
Old 08-30-2013, 04:09 PM

Yes! I think the reverse thingymabob is probably stuck too!! Congrats on your new machine. LOL I started out with one and now i own a herd. LOL
Old 08-30-2013, 05:44 PM

It sounds like it's stuck in reverse!

I almost got the 'antique sewing machine' bug, but decided I'd rather spend the money and time on stuff I will actually use.

Yes, I know many of you use your antiques, but I know me very well, and I wouldn't.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:24 AM

If it's not the reverse knob / button / thingamabob,... it may be the feed dogs. Let us know which one it is (rule out all knobs and bobs first) then if necessary, I'll try to talk you through the feed dogs.

ETA: since "I" am taking the blame, I also think you still need the FW.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:34 AM

It's going to be a while before I can assess what's wrong with her...let's say the people I bought her from were not the cleanest. I saw roaches running around their trailer.

She has not been in my house. This afternoon my DH and I used the wet/dry vac to vacuum and blowout the cabinet after applying a copious dose of bug spray. Ugh. I feel sorry for this machine, she has been sorely neglected. Once I feel that we're rid of the critters, she will be thoroughly disinfected and cleaned.

Stay tuned for updates! (no, I haven't ruled out a FW!)
Old 08-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Maybe that's all she needs is a good cleaning. Check out the video on YouTube Can never remember the guys name who works on different little tips about the bobbin an feed dogs Finding lint where you least expect it.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:37 AM

If it continues to sew backwards MAYBE it is because it is a Crawfish model !The walk backwards. Bon Appetite ! Hugs
Old 08-31-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
It's going to be a while before I can assess what's wrong with her...let's say the people I bought her from were not the cleanest. I saw roaches running around their trailer.

She has not been in my house. This afternoon my DH and I used the wet/dry vac to vacuum and blowout the cabinet after applying a copious dose of bug spray. Ugh. I feel sorry for this machine, she has been sorely neglected. Once I feel that we're rid of the critters, she will be thoroughly disinfected and cleaned.

Stay tuned for updates! (no, I haven't ruled out a FW!)
Oh wow. I weird out when I find spiders. We don't really have roaches here. They're smart enough not to live here. Uhm. Wait. What does that say about me? I actually passed up a Kenmore when a spider popped out of it and said Hi. I was just proud that I didn't drop the machine, but put it down gently instead.

It sounds like the machine couldn't have gone to a better home.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:54 AM

I've seen this before on machines and it was because the reverse button was stuck. It was stuck because there was lint and other dirt behind the button.