Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway... >

It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway...

It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway...

Old 07-18-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The FW and the 301 will be a bit different. Take a picture first. When you take the throat plate off, be sure to put it back with the little finger in the slot or it won't work.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349917[/ATTACH]
Yes, it is full of lint.
Miriam, love the photos! Now you need to do the same thing to some of the 'other' type bobbin assemblies - show and tell!

Nancy
Old 07-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Awwww Miriam, it'll take me all day ........................... whine, snivel, pout.

Joe
Come on Joe. You are sounding like you have to mow the lawn. How about doing one a day. If you take little bites off a big cookie it will soon be gone.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:24 AM

yes Joe you need to do all your machines.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 PM

I had done it already to my newest machine on Monday. I bought a Singer 221K knowing that I'd have to work with the bobbin area. The finger was to the left of where it was supposed to be and just swinging back and forth. I took the little screw out and couldn't figure out how to get the parts apart or how to get it fixed until I went on line and found a picture of just what to do to fix it. In the mean time, I used a pair of tweezers to get out all of the thread that was under the parts there in the area. Got it all fixed and even had to adjust the tension on the presser foot to get it to hold the fabric. That was the first time I ever had to adjust the pf tension. Not like fixing and rehabing a 'boat anchor' but a start!
Great tutorial, Miriam. You need to do one on some of the other types of machines too.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
I had done it already to my newest machine on Monday. I bought a Singer 221K knowing that I'd have to work with the bobbin area. The finger was to the left of where it was supposed to be and just swinging back and forth. I took the little screw out and couldn't figure out how to get the parts apart or how to get it fixed until I went on line and found a picture of just what to do to fix it. In the mean time, I used a pair of tweezers to get out all of the thread that was under the parts there in the area. Got it all fixed and even had to adjust the tension on the presser foot to get it to hold the fabric. That was the first time I ever had to adjust the pf tension. Not like fixing and rehabing a 'boat anchor' but a start!
Great tutorial, Miriam. You need to do one on some of the other types of machines too.
Usually that info is in the owner's manual. There are a lot of machines just like that. BTW it was a really junky Japanese 15 - some rust and very beat up. It is rust you see in there. BUT there are lots of bobbins just like that in various makes. I should do something on drop in bobbins. They are done a bit different. The Singer 66, 99 and 201s and their ilk are drop in bobbin, a bit different are the slant-o-matics with a drop in, the European machines are all different. My Consew is just like that Japanese 15 but it is over sized. Janis gave a very good description of how to do the FW or the 301. I had a Janome for a while (the nose stuck out so far - hurt my neck to sew...) it was a drop in bobbin and can dis-assemble to clean out. Some of those newer machine probably should be done even more often than the older more forgiving machines. Some machines don't have any room for the lint to fall off... if it does fall off it goes into the works real bad. Might be a good idea to pull out lint every time you change the bobbin. It is a good idea to take a picture or consult your manual if you have doubts. Just be sure to clean out the lint. It seems to be the biggest reason I find machines for sale - they just need to be cleaned and they will run so much better.

One time I was at a friend's house and she showed me her beautiful Bernina. It had to cost a fortune. Anyway I looked at it and I could see lint - tons of it. So I took out the screws or what ever it was holding it in. Pulled out the thingy and the thing and pulled out a boat load of lint. I thought that lady was going to have heart failure. Then she wanted to know how to get it back together. I said I figured it would go about like it came out and I messed with it a bit and got it back together. Meanwhile she was frantically looking in her manual... the info was there. It will only go back one way and work. Those FWs and 301s are another story. They will go back but unless that notch thing is in line it won't work. Like Janis says it will twiddle around and not sew. Once you have done it you will wonder why you don't do it like some say, every day or every bobbin change.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 PM

Do mine often as I make fleece blankets for the xmas angel tree. Boy does that leave a mess........
Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

My grand daughter got a real kick out of helping me clean a Singer 99. As we did it I told her how important it is to keep the machine cleaned and oiled. I did not remove everything on that bobbin area. I took the machine out of the case and turned it upside down so she could see everything. It cleaned out very neatly from the bottom. I let her oil, too. She thought it was great fun. She is nearly 8 and has some vision problems so she isn't allowed sew yet and yes, it is killing me. We also used one of those ear syringe things to blow stuff out. We washed off the grime and dirt from the machine. She thought it was great fun.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Thanks, you made a "chore" fun.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:51 AM

I loved this, I did this yesterday, but not all my machines, lol.....only one I was using. Loved the wording on your tutorial, lol......and Joe if my DH had a sewing machine I would have to clean His for Him, lol.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:32 AM

Miriam, I love the humorous way you wrote that out! I was LMBO every time I read "terrible warning" and "thingy"!

I thought I was being good by doing it after every project... but it appears not: Kalama you have me beat by a long shot!

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 07-19-2012 at 06:36 AM.