It's SteveH's fault

Old 06-07-2015, 06:03 AM

Those mechanical patterns are really cool. I felt the same way when Steve showed them. Lucky you to have found some already and they look great on the wall!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:13 AM

KLO - the basic set includes four peices for making the bodice. There is a later version that has a longer front piece, and that one is in more demand.

The sleeve has an add on item, and has a seperate instruction booklet. So if you find one with all five, make sure it's got both manuals also. Though I've got both manuals and will make copies of them at some point.

You'll also want to make sure you get one that is not missing a lot of the nuts for tightening down the adjustments. I'm missing a few, and I think there are a few missing rivets on the Sleeve piece too. I'll have to compare it to one that has everything and see how that goes.

There may have been other "add on" pieces too - with all the bragging on how many sold in the sales info I got with mine, one would expect to see more of these around.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:22 AM

The photo of all the attachment boxes made me smile, for just an instant I was a toddler again being allowed to peek in the black shiny box lined with purple velvet with silvery things inside. Maybe I'm entering my second childhood today?!
Old 06-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Sure looks organized - love your space!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:35 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
KLO - the basic set includes four peices for making the bodice. There is a later version that has a longer front piece, and that one is in more demand.

The sleeve has an add on item, and has a seperate instruction booklet. So if you find one with all five, make sure it's got both manuals also. Though I've got both manuals and will make copies of them at some point.

You'll also want to make sure you get one that is not missing a lot of the nuts for tightening down the adjustments. I'm missing a few, and I think there are a few missing rivets on the Sleeve piece too. I'll have to compare it to one that has everything and see how that goes.

There may have been other "add on" pieces too - with all the bragging on how many sold in the sales info I got with mine, one would expect to see more of these around.

Cathy, Thanks for all the great info. Think I had better print this out just in case I ever find this system somewhere so I'll know what I am looking for. So there were a lot of them sold. Interesting to hear. SteveH needs to do a posting on how he made out using the system. Don't think there are too many others who would or have actually used it. Not sure why I am so fascinated by this but think I'll blame it on SteveH for his original posting of it also.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Looks awesome! I love those pattern pieces....
Old 06-07-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
with all the bragging on how many sold in the sales info I got with mine, one would expect to see more of these around.
I always figured that hand-crank sewing machines in America where used a LOT until they where sold for scrap. Maybe the tailoring forms where subject to similar use. That, or the company was lying
Old 06-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Banned

HA! Blame me... I have wide shoulders, I'll take it!

They work great. We have been sorting out the wedding and honeymoon pics, but once done with that we will sort out the pics of Heather's wedding dress (not used) that was made with the McDowell set. My Frock coat was totally Dever's method (because it is male oriented)

I am still looking for the McDowell Sleeve Machine, so we had to "loft" (draft) the pattern for the sleeve from the Dever's tailoring book for ladies.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:03 AM

Back in the old days a lot of men's clothing was custom tailored. There weren't many commercial patterns made for men's clothing like there were for women's. Even now patterns for men's clothing are few and far between compared to the variety available to women.
There were a lot of tailoring systems developed in the 1800s. A device like Steve's or yours would have been in good demand as a way to make men's clothing easier to make.
Rodney
Old 06-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
...There were a lot of tailoring systems developed in the 1800s. A device like Steve's or yours would have been in good demand as a way to make men's clothing easier to make.
Rodney

Actually, it is kinda the opposite. A seamstress making a ladies dress did 2-3x the amount of work, but received 1/5th of what a Tailor made for a mans suit. The reason the McDowell system was created was to try to give seamstresses a fighting chance in the market. (It is actually written in the documentation for the device)

Lofting/drafting a man's suit is relatively simple in comparison.