I've caught the bug!

Old 12-06-2018, 02:12 PM

Default I've caught the bug!

Found a Class 15 clone (Universal) near me in a gorgeous cherrywood cabinet in great shape for $100. Had to buy it. Husband got it oiled and tuned up. Then I saw a Johnson Ruffler online and offered $250. Accepted. Who doesn't want a dedicated ruffler? Then was offered someone's Featherweight for a song. Well, why not? My main sewer is a Viking 1+ and I just put a used Janome 500E embroidery machine on layaway.

And dear lord, I'm now looking at a Willcox & Gibbs chain stitch. My husband goes between thinking I'm nuts and being rather fascinated with the old machinery.

I am a vintage dealer so it comes naturally. My main sellers are jewelry and clothing, but I do venture into knitting machines as I'm an avid knitter. So I guess vintage sewing machines are a natural spinoff.

This is addicting, y'all!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-06-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-06-2018, 02:27 PM

And you've only just begun...
Old 12-06-2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Yep, it's quite the rabbit hole and so much fun. When you get your 500e join the new machine embroidery section of the main forum. I own 5 embroidery machines(yes, another rabbit hole lol), my 500e is my favorite, love that machine!

Cari

I'm glad to hear that, Cari! I think I made a great decision buying it. I'm still paying it off, but it's going fast. Should be able to take care of it by end of January. Yep, I can see that being another rabbit hole.

I was looking at new machines originally, but just love the style of the old ones. My husband is giving me 'the eye' - LOL - but my business does pay for them since I use the machines to repair vintage clothing. I might end up selling the Johnson Ruffler, as I'm not sure how much I'll use it. It was in good shape when I got it but I did clean it up some.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:38 PM

Shhhh, don't tell my husband.... LOL
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 PM

OMG, I think I accidentally threw away the tiny little gathering foot for the Willcox & Gibbs!! And of COURSE the trash man came this AM!!! I just went through everything I had and it's not there! I remember tossing a little box and an envelope and I thought they were empty - I swear I checked - but this thing is so tiny!!! UGH!!!
Old 12-07-2018, 08:05 AM
Banned

Linda, welcome to the addiction! It is so much fun. The variability of the early tech is what hold my interest. Mine is only pre-1900 machines. If I may say, that seems a bit steep for a Johnson Ruffler. Was it in some way unique?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:48 AM

There are worse addictions, whilst OH has been hauled in to free up my Bernina Jubilae on which I think someone used sump oil, I've started on this one.......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604914[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_20181207_202303508-01-2-.jpg  
Old 12-07-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Linda, welcome to the addiction! It is so much fun. The variability of the early tech is what hold my interest. Mine is only pre-1900 machines. If I may say, that seems a bit steep for a Johnson Ruffler. Was it in some way unique?
I was available - is that unique? LOL. Actually it's in pristine shape and is white, but I would have bought it regardless because of the engineering that went into it. I can't get it to keep tension well, though it's possible that I'm doing something wrong. The ruffles do not lock in at all, i.e. you can pull the ruffles right out. Need to read the manual carefully - could be user error. I have no issues putting in a new tensioner if need be. I took the other one apart to see if it can be worked with and noticed it was missing a little lock nut. I ordered a new tensioner as they aren't that expensive, just in case.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by heart_of_bernina View Post
There are worse addictions, whilst OH has been hauled in to free up my Bernina Jubilae on which I think someone used sump oil, I've started on this one.......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604914[/ATTACH]
That's really pretty! Do you just clean really well? Re-lacquer? Curious.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:08 PM

There is a chance the old Alfa is made in Spain or France, even with the Singer type stitch length lever. I generally keep the original finish, cleaning and polishing do wonders. Resin based car polish (liquid whitish stuff) lifts up grime and restore finish quite well. Chips and cratches can be filled in, minor touch ups done carefully will blend in fine. I allow signs of age and wear on a machine, and I suspect the Alfa is in good enough condition to clean up very well.