Joined the FW Club :)

Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 AM

Default Joined the FW Club :)

I was visiting my family in Ontario and sis asked me to check out her machine. It is a Singer 99K that we both learned to sew on many years ago. It was very dry, she didn't know to oil it and the stitch length regulator kept moving when we sewed. It just wouldn't hold in position no matter what we did. The bobbin case was also very dirty and I couldn't get it out to clean under it. So, we put it away and later went to the closest repair shop to get a bottle of oil so I could show her how to oil the poor thing. Now, I know better than to go into a shop that sells sewing machines. In we went and I bought the bottle of oil intending to leave right away. We noticed in the window were 4 little Feather Weights. I've wanted one for a while, but there don't seem to be many in my home area and the ones I have seen are beyond my range. The fellow was just on his way out for some lunch but stopped to help when I said I was interested. Apparently he sells on EBay, but if he has too many it lowers the pricing so he also sells them from his shop. I got a 1951 Singer 221 Centennial Edition at a really great price. She isn't perfect, her decal is a bit faded in the center of the bed from use and a small area of rough finish by the on/off switch, but she stitches like a dream. I live in BC and there was no way I was going to put my little baby in the cargo hold of 3 different planes. She came through security with flying colors although the tech had a few comments about her. I offered to open the box and show him what all the "weird" metal thingys were, but once they knew it was a sewing machine they let it through. He said it is more common for passengers to travel with their machines now. So, my baby is home. I'm not sure of her name yet, but I'm enjoying playing with her. No pics yet, sorry. My sis contacted me after I got home and said the repair fellow told her the reason the 99K won't hold a stitch length is that there is a crack in the base of the machine. So, she is sending it out to me for parts. Woo Hoo! another machine to play with.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Congrats, sounds like a wonderful trip!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

​Wonderful, post a pic when you can!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Another FW world traveler. My just traveled from AZ to WI over the weekend with similar experience at the TSA.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 AM

Congratulations and you will love it. They are great to sew on. And just so cute too.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 AM

Alright, Overlander- 'fess up. Where is this shop?

;-)
Old 08-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I want one! I just keep looking. Friend of mine (laq) has machines at different friends and relative homes. When she visits she just uses her own right there.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:39 AM

Congratulations on your new baby. Have fun sewing on her.