Joining the Vintage Club!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 AM

What a treasure you have in that machine and wonderful memories of your gram because of it
Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 AM

Divokittysmom,

You've maybe discovered this when you read through the manual but I thought I'd show you any way. And maybe it will help others that look at some of these accessories and say: that don't look right, is something wrong with this?

I borrowed your photo and marked it up a bit.

The parts in blue are the hem guide ( not sure that's the right name).
The parts in read are the adjustable hemmer. I've seen a bunch of them disassembled. Not sure why. The next pic is how it should look assembled.

Your machine could use some gentle cleaning and TLC and the cabinet, well I'd use the method described here:
http://www.treadleon.net/woodshop/re...ingfinish.html
rather than an all out refinishing.

I've got two 66 Red Eye treadles. One that's 100% original and one that had been electrified and the treadle parts removed that I restored back to a treadle. Great machines.
My cats like them too.

Joe
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 AM

Welcome, and thanks for sharing such a nice story!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM

Joe; Thank you so much for identifying all those parts for me. I really appreciate it very much!! I did think that some of them needed to be re-assembled as the parts were so tiny!
I don't want to completely restore it, like repainting or anything, just clean it up as much as possible. For me, with this being my grandmother's part of the charm is all those little imperfections, because it feels like it is still hers, If that makes sense...
thanks again!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 AM

Glad to be of help.

Joe
Old 03-20-2012, 11:39 AM

That piece you called the hem guide is a seam guide, and you turn it over (from position shown) and secure it to the bed in one of the holes with one of the little screws with the "finger twist" top. (don't know the proper name - not a screw driver top). You can adjust it to give you a consistent width seam...a lot of quilters with vintage machines use them for the 1/4" seam, because it is nice and broad to move your fabric against.

I have a 66 treadle too, and just love that machine. Your story is so sweet...wish I had a family machine, but my mom didn't sew much after we got into school, and she didn't save any of her machines. Don't know what happened to my grandmother's treadle, as they llived in Missouri, and us in CA, so when they passed away, others in the family divided their household goods.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
That piece you called the hem guide is a seam guide, and you turn it over (from position shown) and secure it to the bed in one of the holes with one of the little screws with the "finger twist" top. (don't know the proper name - not a screw driver top). You can adjust it to give you a consistent width seam...a lot of quilters with vintage machines use them for the 1/4" seam, because it is nice and broad to move your fabric against.

I have a 66 treadle too, and just love that machine. Your story is so sweet...wish I had a family machine, but my mom didn't sew much after we got into school, and she didn't save any of her machines. Don't know what happened to my grandmother's treadle, as they llived in Missouri, and us in CA, so when they passed away, others in the family divided their household goods.
jljack,

That little screw is called a "thumb screw". So I learned something, or had something I already knew but forgot reinforced in my pea brain.

Joe
Old 03-21-2012, 05:47 PM

You have a wonderful machine and story to go with it. It would really be nice to document that story to go with the machine.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

I have one just like yours but without the family connection/love/known history. I am yet to get her cleaned up and running and I have to replace knobs and touch up the cabinet/treadle. Currently I have got a 50's Pinnock in use and my grand old lady is hidden underneath. Thank you for sharing with us....and telling it's story.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 PM

I have my Grannys 1909 singer treadle and 2 others a red eye and I forget what the other one is, Grannys is my favorite. As she was also very happy when sewing have lots of memories of her and that machine. She would also let me sew on it making potholders. Your machine is a nice one. Love the story about it.