Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Just Acquired a Davis Vertical Feed Which needle? >

Just Acquired a Davis Vertical Feed Which needle?

Just Acquired a Davis Vertical Feed Which needle?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 AM

Thanks Cathy! You're SUPER!! And it actually has reverse!! What's the smaller lever over the tension lever on back? And 15*1 needles, I Luv it. like to find missing treadle parts...and attachments.b Is the bobbin same as anything else? sorry for all the questions. you've been a great help I see Jon is the expert also on these at the Yahoo group?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 AM

Thanks so much Jon! the plate i have had that #stamped on it.vI see there is an aficionado named Jerry who is close by ( Salem) thanks for the manual!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:54 AM

Jim,

The plate with the number is your front slide. Jerry took some excellent photos for cleaning the NVF's in the Davis VF group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...sec=dir&slk=25

They have a NVF manual in there Files.

Jon
Old 01-25-2014, 09:39 AM

I didn't see a manual for the NVF, just the older ones? or did I just not read correctly...
Old 01-25-2014, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Jim,

The plate with the number is your front slide. Jerry took some excellent photos for cleaning the NVF's in the Davis VF group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...sec=dir&slk=25

They have a NVF manual in there Files.

Jon
I can't find that file,...do you have specific advice on what's involved with removing the face plate and oiling behind it? or where to find it?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-25-2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
I can't find that file,...do you have specific advice on what's involved with removing the face plate and oiling behind it? or where to find it?
Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim,

I see you found the Davis VF Yahoo group. There are some excellent photos on removing faceplate and cleaning the feed in "Photos" and "Disassembly and Assembly NVF" album in photos. The pics are much better than I can describe but can recommend taking lots of your own photos and working on machine with handwheel resting on bench so gravity keeps parts from falling off.

Regarding attachments there are quite a few and they fetch a good price on ebay. A completed ebay listings search or Worthpoint search should be good for reference.

Jon
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 AM

I have a NVF Davis also. The ser # on front slide plate is 2715272. Can someone tell me what year? Someone antiqued my cabinet green???? would like to strip it, but probably won't. It stitches well by hand, I just need to move the cabinet in from garage and get it treadling.
jeanie in Mo
Old 01-26-2014, 07:32 AM

my manual says it is for all VF machines numbered 2,705,000 and upwards. Needlebar calls this "Style 5) and says they started production in 1915. I think they kept making them until they went out of business in 1924. Jim's machine is 3,783,xxx and mine is 3,766,xxx and Needlebar has one 3,374,xxx that they state is a late model.

So I'd say yours is likely 1915-1916, where Jim and I have machines more likely to be from the early 20's - but that is just an educated guess.

The manual has no date, but it does have a price list that says "All prices U.S. Gold" though someone crossed them off in pencil and wrote "all prices void" at the top.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Watson58 View Post
I have a NVF Davis also. The ser # on front slide plate is 2715272. Can someone tell me what year? Someone antiqued my cabinet green???? would like to strip it, but probably won't. It stitches well by hand, I just need to move the cabinet in from garage and get it treadling.
jeanie in Mo
Attached are some dated warranties from Davis Vertical Feed Sewing Machines. 2715272 is an "NVF" New Vertical Feed model made in late 1912 or 1913. I'd estimate 1913.

Jon
Old 01-28-2014, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the info on ser. #'s. I managed to move the cabinet into the house. Now I have to find a way to fix the chain to the lid. It has been jerked out removing part of the wood around it. I have the round metal piece that fits in the lid, but don't know how the chain fastens to that. Anyone have any ideas for me on that?