Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Just Acquired a Davis Vertical Feed Which needle? >

Just Acquired a Davis Vertical Feed Which needle?

Just Acquired a Davis Vertical Feed Which needle?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 AM

If no one else does, I can take a photo later if that's of any help. Wood being jerked out will call for some adept carpentry I'm thinking.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 AM

I've got the machine, but no cabinet so I'm no help there.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Watson58 View Post
Thanks for the info on ser. #'s. I managed to move the cabinet into the house. Now I have to find a way to fix the chain to the lid. It has been jerked out removing part of the wood around it. I have the round metal piece that fits in the lid, but don't know how the chain fastens to that. Anyone have any ideas for me on that?
Hi Jim,

See if any of this is helpful:

https://www.google.com/patents/US732...page&q&f=false

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-DAVI...p2047675.l2557

The best pic is in the Davis VF Yahoo group under "Files" > "NVF parts.pdf" which is a Davis parts schematic of the machine and lifting system.

Jon
Old 01-28-2014, 01:21 PM

Jeanie in MO, i think was intended for you... what part of MO? i grew up s of StLouis. Mom still lives in Fenton. Sounds like it's cold.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:52 PM

Jeanie in Mo,

Looks like the chain is attached to the movable cover by a loop at the end of the chain, a pin, and the round brass plate with the two screws. The pin can be seen at the edge of the back cover that runs through the chain loop. If you post a pic perhaps a good woodworker will have some advice. Or if the damage is very bad a new cover might be in order.

Jon
Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I found I have been sitting here for 18 yrs with all the hardware pieces I needed. My neighbor now has the wood lid and the hardware pieces. He will mend the wood and make everything 'fit' in order for the chain to open/lift the machine.

I am getting closer to having this machine running! The treadle runs really smooth!
Jeanie in cold SW MO
Old 01-29-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Watson58 View Post
Thanks to all who responded. I found I have been sitting here for 18 yrs with all the hardware pieces I needed. My neighbor now has the wood lid and the hardware pieces. He will mend the wood and make everything 'fit' in order for the chain to open/lift the machine.

I am getting closer to having this machine running! The treadle runs really smooth!
Jeanie in cold SW MO
Wow, 18 years in the making. Let us know how it works out and Good Luck.

Jon
Old 02-02-2014, 07:40 AM

One is never enough it seems. I traded another Davis NVF head for a Kenmore 148, and the White ZZ that used to be in my Avatar. I explained as much as I could about the non-functioning ZZ, and gave him a service manual, also. Eventually you will see it pop up on website for sale for $300++ with a lifetime guarantee, because that's what he does. I wonder how many he actually sells.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460082[/ATTACH]
Yes it's sitting in the cabinet backwards. It's an earlier SN, the decals are good. I did some damage to the decals on my other one, with warm water and dishsoap, maybe it was the brand of dishsoap. It made a very milky haze that was hard to remove, and faded the decals and turned them green. Don't think I'll be trying that again. It was Palmolive BTW. There is a mechanism on the back of the presser foot lever, that is different on this one. It looks like it applies additional pressure on the walking foot.
Attached Thumbnails 2014-02-01-15.10.08.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:10 AM

Hi Jim,

Nice looking NVF and a good trade. The extra presser foot lever is for additional lift. This was one of the improvements over the previous model along with the back tack button and 15x1 needle. You'll notice the disc tension on your new machine is different than your later NVF, the later tension system being patented January 1915. I'd stick with SM oil for delicate decals like your Davis. If I'm impatient and not concerned about possible decal loss I use non pumiced Gojo.

Jon
Old 02-02-2014, 01:40 PM

There are some "Notes" on the ISMACS Needle List. Some of the Davis Machines took a different (and rare) needle, and the only way to tell was whether the tension assembly was on the top of the arm or on the face or the face (nose) plate. I was just researching this issue last night!

Check your list is the only advice I can give!

Jeanette