Just acquired one

Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 AM

Default Just acquired one

I am an owner of a fearherweight and am not sure if I want to keep it. It is clean and works fine.....my concerns--is there a 1/4"foot available for it? Where does one oil it and can I use Singer Sewing Machine Oil or what? I am not fond of the pedal...just a little square button thing on a gray base...hard for me to get foot onto it.........guess I am used to newer foot control. It came w/attachments,case and key for same. Serial #AJ502215. If I decide to sell it what can I expect as a fair price.....still not sure, but thanks for any info you might give me.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 AM

there is a 1/4 inch foot you can buy. Also can get replacement foot pedals. My featherweight has a regular foot pedal on it. If you check on antique machines on this board, you can get instructions for oiling it. I love my featherweight/
Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 AM

You can get aftermarket foot controls for it easily and a 1/4" foot is commonly found too . (Sew-Classic.com) Use Tri-Flow for oil and tri-flow grease for the gears (not for the motor) and go to Singers web site and you can download a free manual with all the oil points listed. It's really a fairly easy keeper and it sounds like you got one that is pretty complete. Enjoy!
If you decide to sell, a "fair price" is market dependent so I'm not much help there but maybe someone from your area will chime in.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 AM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

I think one either loves them or is not so enamored! Yes the foot pedal takes some time getting used too. I use a seam marker I bought for mine, it screws on on the base and is adjustable. It works well for me. I like the stitch mine makes. Even and true. As far as fair price, it depends on what the market will bear. I've never paid more than $240.00 for either and some would say that's a lot. Lucky sewers have found for 100$ and less! Both the FW I've bought were is excellent condition and the stencil ing is in great condition. Price just depends what you feel good with and if you paid a lot! If you do sell it good luck, I hope it finds a happy home!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I am not fond of the pedal...just a little square button thing on a gray base...hard for me to get foot onto it.........
You don't really put all of your foot on it. The button is designed for the heel of your foot. Many of the people that don't like these foot controls have them set wrong. The wire needs to be in the back going toward the machine and the button at the heel of your foot. You simply lean your leg to the right, causing your heel to make the button depress.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:24 PM

I never knew that aboutbthe foot peddal being backward. nice. thank you candace
Old 12-29-2013, 03:30 PM

If you would decide to sell your featherweight please let me know
Old 12-29-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
I never knew that aboutbthe foot peddal being backward. nice. thank you candace
You can also rest your heel on the heel rest and tilt your leg in towards your body. You'll have to see which you prefer.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 PM

I put my heal on the floor and the outside of my foot on the rest, rolling foot towards the ball to make it go. But I've got big feet.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:13 PM

I take my shoes off and use my big toe on that button. That style foot pedal seems to have been designed for use with the knee bar in a cabinet.