Keep me from serger murder!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:30 AM

Default Keep me from serger murder!

Culprit: mid 90's Hobbylock 774, made for Pfaff.
Crime: Rebellion, delinquency, loopers not catching
Background: Thought I'd be nice. Oiled it. Replaced needles (Schmetz universal 90/14). Changed thread. Serged off the bottoms on some onesies for a church project. First 2 fine. (Tensions all set around 3, but right looper thread at 6...its a quirky thing.) Difficulty over a seam. 3rd one, acting up. 4th one, not good at all. Stitch thread not catching. Bumped needles down a tad. Threads catch, looper threads get loose & messy, start missing. test, test test. Set R looper thread to 3, just because. Loopers stitches not forming. Needles are back up where they ought to be. Stitch thread fine. Loopers stitches not forming.

I have quadruple checked the threading diagram (just because, although the fact that it worked initially indicates correct threading.) Did find that the foot has slipped down a bit out of its screw, put it back, but that shouldn't have affected looping. test, test, test. Right looper thread pulling out of looper needle. Rethread, test, repeat. Left looper thread pulls out. Rethread. Test. Stitch threads catch for first 1" or so, only a tiny loop comes through to the top in the middle of that. some tiny loops showing on bottom, but not caught. Reset R looper tension to 6. Loose loops form for first inch, then R looper thread pulls itself out of eye again.

Nothing in the owners manual "trouble shooting" addresses loopers not looping. Timing issue because of the seam bump? I have no experience in timing, but legal redress / pointers appreciated.

(Oh for the days of the old John Deere B manual...if engine sludge is detected, take a sledge hammer...)
Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Are you using the right style of needle?

Some sergers require a BLX1 or DCX1 style. Some machines do have the kind of needle to use printed somewhere on the machine.

"Universal" does not mean it can be used on any or all machines.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:24 AM

It sounds like you bent your new needles on that seam.

Remove your hands from its scrawny little neck, and put in two new needles.

Test, test, test....but if it doesn’t test good, don’t choke it yet. It may be something else....

CD in Oklahoma

ETA: I forgot to mention, remove all of the thread from the machine back to the spools, and re-thread from scratch.....
Old 10-04-2015, 11:56 AM

Hi Bearis - yes, I checked the manual and this model does take the universal 130/705H, from 90/14 is the recommended.

Thayer, I replaced the needles and now the straight stitches are working, as well as the left looper. The right looper still is not catching. When the R looper passes in front of the needles, the L looper is already starting its retreat. And the right looper thread still pulls out of the eye.

? - does the R looper pass between the thread and the needles, or just in front of the thread and needles? My R looper is passing in front of both thread and needles.

Checking the manual, I last had it serviced in....2006! ($95) OSMG was in his 80s then. Closest OSMGs are an hour east, an hour west, or 2.5 hours south. It would be nice if I could get a "same day" appointment, though not likely.

When this unit runs, it runs good. I can switch fabric thickness, keep nearly the same tensions, and it produces a stellar stitch. It really is idiot proof. I am sure that seam on the onesie (and you know how thin those are) threw it, and me, off. I keep thinking, I ought to be able to figure this out...

Thanks for your help! Advice still appreciated.

Last edited by WIChix; 10-04-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:15 PM

It's probably something very simple that you've overlooked. For me, it's usually the threading order that I have to repeat from scratch when a thread has broken, and as long as I've had my workhorse, I still have to look at the book. Have you re-seated the needles, have them up as high as needed and turned the right way? I wasted a whole get-together and even more frustration at home until I realized that the knife I'd replaced had not seated properly, even when I did it over and over.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
....does the R looper pass between the thread and the needles, or just in front of the thread and needles? My R looper is passing in front of both thread and needles.
Clarify which “thread” you’re referring to....

On most models, the right looper passes in front of the needles, allowing the needles to drop down through the loop of thread behind and made by that (the right) looper.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-04-2015, 01:46 PM

Currently, The R looper passes in front of the needles and the needle's threads. Wondered if perhaps it should pass between the needles and their threads. From the tilt/flare of the R looper, I would not think so, but thought I should ask.

Thank you, elnan. I do use the manual to thread, to double check the built in color coded eyes, and the color coded threading diagram on the front of the machine. I hope you're right, it should be obvious...I hate being so obtuse!
Old 10-04-2015, 03:37 PM

If your right looper got bent, or it slipped time on the shaft that it’s mounted on during the seam fracas, you still shouldn’t have to take it out and shoot it.

Loopers do get bent, and they (who’s they? Oh, you know!) sell new ones for a nice profit. If it slipped a bit on the shaft (some of them just have a pinch clamp attachment that’s also an adjustment), you’ll have to figure out how much it slipped and put it back. Nothing to it.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

I was ready to murder my Babylock serger until a friend came over and helped me get it working again.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I was ready to murder my Babylock serger until a friend came over and helped me get it working again.
Oh good! What a relief! Praise the intervention!

Murder is such a final thing. That’s the only reason that I’ve been trying to give some advice on this thread. I usually don’t try to diagnose problems via “long distance” on a forum, telephone, or anything where I can’t get my hands on the offending culprit, but this one sounded desperate.

Murder can get you a stiff penalty, including life in prison or even a death sentence (except here in Oklahoma, where we seem to have a little problem with chemical identification sometimes...), so a person needs to ask themselves if murder is really the answer to dealing with a sorry, no good serger! I haven’t heard any bad things on the news about “Shaken Serger Syndrome” yet, so maybe we can still get by with shaking the devil out of them? Whenever I’ve shaken mine, all I get is a face-full of fluff, lint, and clippings..........but I felt better after I’d done it.......

CD in Oklahoma