Kenmore 117-959

Old 05-11-2014, 06:55 PM

Default Kenmore 117-959

Hi, all! I now own a fairly plain looking Kenmore 117-959. I bought it because it came in a beautiful solid wood cabinet which I am hoping to put another machine into. It is much different than any of my other machines - fortunately there seems to be a lot of info on the net about this model. They sell on eBay for around $50, so I know it's not a big score, but still fun.

So, before I plug it in and try to sew with it I want to oil it up properly. I bought some Tri-Flow because it's been recommended on this site quite often, but I want to know - do I use it in place of sewing machine oil in all the oiling spots, or is it only for certain places? Dumb question, I know, but I don't know a darned thing about fixing machines of any type!

Do any of you have one of these? What do you think of it? Also, does it run just with the knee pedal or can it be converted to run with a foot pedal?

I took pictures but am unable to upload them for some reason. So frustrating! It's worked before, but the Quilting Board is unable to upload these photos.

Thank you!
Margaret F
Old 05-11-2014, 07:42 PM

Use tri-flow everywhere you would use regular sewing machine oil. It should be simple to convert to a foot pedal. Take a look at your knee lever. Many are simply foot pedals with an extra piece attached for your knee to push against. Personally I prefer a knee control. You always know where it is. I don't know if the opening and hinge placement are the same as other machines.
It could be your pictures are too big. I think QB has a size limit.
Rodney
Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 AM

I use Tri-Flow everywhere oil is used, except the motors. There is use regular sewing machine oil. I'm not sure about the Teflon in motors.

Joe
Old 05-12-2014, 07:27 AM

Thanks, guys! I'll try it out today!

Margaret
Old 05-12-2014, 08:39 AM

My 117-959 had grease cups in the motor, which cleaned out and refilled with singer lubricant. I used Tri-flow everywhere else. Margaret, if you didn't get a manual. I have it in .pdf and could email it to you. PM me if you need one.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 AM

Margaret,

I don't have that model, but I do have several other White made Kenmores.

First; they rotate opposite from Singers. Nuther words the hand wheel rotates away from you rather than towards you like the Singers do. No big deal there other than getting used to it.

Second; if it has a spring loaded motor on the back like the other 117s I have do, take a spring loaded clothes pin apart and slide half of it between the motor and machine to keep the rubber drive pulley off the hand wheel. This prevents flat spots. You'll probably have to adjust the drive pulley in or out to get away from the existing flat spots or replace it.

Also here is a Google I did for this machine. The photo section has lots of pics of them.
{ https://www.google.com/search?q=Kenm...a&channel=fflb }
I wasn't trying to cheat you out of doing your own search, but I was curious what this machine looks like. Nice machine.

Joe