Kenmore 117-959

Old 02-27-2015, 06:31 AM

Smile Kenmore 117-959

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this site but not this wonderful machine! I just got it 2 weeks ago and my hubby and I have been working on it in our spare time to get it in tip-top shape! We just fixed the wiring in the speed controller yesterday, when I engaged the knee lever I almost cried...this is the model that my Mom had when she taught me to sew and all those sweet memories came rushing back to me... I just can't wait to start sewing with it, just have to work on the hand wheel and the clutch...it doesn't want to release. At least I know where to start after reading postings from so many of you experienced vintage machine lovers! At first my husband couldn't understand why I would want such an old machine, he thought I should get one of those computerized ones with all the bells and whistles. But, as soon as he put his hands on this beauty of a machine, he got it, "to last all these years, what a work-horse!" Amen! I don't have my Mom to sew with now, but I'll always have her with me in spirit every time I sit down with this much-loved machine!
I look forward to reading more and sharing with you all!
Thanks for listening!
Sunny
Old 02-27-2015, 06:48 AM

Hi Sunny! Welcome aboard!

I have one of these, and mine has a stuck clutch too! From what I've learned (mostly here), Kenmore used some lube "back in the day" that likes to turn into concrete so that's not an uncommon problem. I need to take a heat gun to it and see if that frees it up, but I keep not quite getting around to it! Meanwhile it sews really nicely and I just wind bobbins as I sew - it works perfectly in every other way. I have it set up with "jeans" thread right now, finally getting around to doing some long-neglected hemming and repairs on some of DH's & my jeans - sews just fine through a few layers of denim.

We love pictures around here, show us your darling!

Here's a shot of my copy of your machine when I first brought it home, getting its first inspection (and "Lab" report, lol):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511810[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 117-959__02.jpg  
Old 02-27-2015, 08:26 AM

Welcome Sunny! These old machines can be addictive. They have an appeal that new plastic machines just can't touch.
Rodney
Old 02-27-2015, 10:39 AM

Sunny,

I really like those old White made machines. The hand wheel should turn away from you rather than towards you. Get a set of channel lock pliers and wrap the Stop Motion knob in leather. (An old belt will do) Then one you of hold the hand wheel while the other turns the knob counter clock wise. I've had them come to me way tight too, just took some effort on most, some Tri-Flow, soaking and effort on a couple.

I don't have one of that series Kenmores, but I have several others. I'm looking for one like yours for my collection though. My prettiest one is a 117-720. Here's a pic of it just because.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511829[/ATTACH]

If I'm right, the drive motor is a spring loaded affair. Once you get it up and running good you'll want to keep the rubber drive wheel off the hand wheel when not being used. I use one side of a wooden spring loaded clothes pin and slide it between the motor and the motor bracket. That keeps the rubber drive wheel away from the hand wheel preventing flat spots.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5318.jpg  
Old 02-27-2015, 05:20 PM

How strong is the motor on the giant sized Kenmore?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

welcome to the QB, and happy sewing
Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 PM

Hi! Thank you for the warm welcome! Lucky you to have the cabinet, unfortunately I got the machine with no cabinet but I'm hitting all the thrift stores & a few yard sales tomorrow, hoping I can find one similar to my Mom's! I'll post pictures soon!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 PM

Thanks Rodney! I couldn't agree more, can't wait till I find a cabinet for it! Posting pics soon!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:15 PM

Hi Joe, thanks for the advice, we'll give it a try. And that is one sweet machine you've got there! I'll let you know how it goes!
Thanks again,
Sunny
Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 AM

Sunny,

Singer style cabinets, the most common type found, won't work for your machine with out modification. So take measurements of your machine base with the hinge holes marked for reference with you when you go cabinet hunting.

Good luck.

Joe