Kenmore 158 HELP!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:44 PM

Default Kenmore 158 HELP!

Yep, as luck would have it, I'm playing around sewing away, loving my new machine when I run out of bobbin thread. I get everything ready to wind up some new thread on the bobbin, push bobbin winder latch, gently start to press foot pedal.....nothing. I figure I did something wrong. I re-thread according to manual, move bobbin latch back in sewing position, then tight back against bobbin winder and again....nothing. Terrific! It sounds like gears may be grinding. I take everything off the machine, flip it over and look underneath. I don't see any jams, everything looks great. While the machine is on it's back, and while looking at the bottom, I turn the hand wheel. It's very hard to turn. I can see the belt on the motor no longer moving (when I turn towards me). When I turn away from me, again, it's hard to turn, but the belt moves on the motor. The belt appears to be intact and in great shape. I look the through the manual for trouble shooting, nothing in there for this. Any ideas on what's going on? How do I fix this? Why do these machines hate me? ....and I really, REALLY liked this one. Please help me like it again! :'(
Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 PM

UPDATE: After playing with the bobbin winder release button, I have the belt turning smoothly. This leads me to believe I have an issue with the bobbin winder. It's not working, and getting stuck. I could be wrong as I'm definitely a novice, but I'm pretty sure. Anyone able to walk me through a repair on this? I do I access this area?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 PM

Did you remember to oil the motor, and the bobbin latch/wheel? It should turn freely, like one flick of a fingernail on the tire it spins, type freely. Also If i recall you should disengage the needle by turning the inside wheel/knob of the handwheel so that when you do wind the bobbin it won't move the needle.

if possible a pic could help with identifying the specific model.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:54 PM

Ok, I'll take some pics. I just got the arm cover plate off. I did not oil, but I will. If it still sticks, be watching for a mass of pics. Thank you for responding so quickly!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:33 PM

Here are the pictures I have taken. If you need anymore, just tell me of what. You will see that I just oiled the machine. It is a little sloppy because my oil bottle is leaking. You know, because everything related to electric sewing machines are hating me lately. I'm afraid to hop on a treadle now.
...then again, maybe this is a sign that I should start my physics homework.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458687[/ATTACH]
The top view of my machine (158-1703). My stomach is facing the front of the machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458688[/ATTACH]
Here is a view of the bobbin winder, and bobbin latch mechanisms.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458689[/ATTACH]
I am pointing out the two mechanisms for easier identification

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458690[/ATTACH]
This metal "stick" is not attached to anything, not sure if it's supposed to be. If so, could that be causing the problem?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458691[/ATTACH]
Here is a pic of the wheel. Maybe you can see something wrong that I can't.

Again, any help is appreciated. I know I've been on here a lot lately asking for advice and help. If I were able to buy each of you a nice dinner in exchange for all the help you've given me, I honestly would do it!
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-open-arm-top.jpg   kenmore-bobbin-winder.jpg   kenmore-two-parts-bobbin-winder.jpg   kenmore-strange-metal.jpg   kenmore-wheel.jpg  

Old 01-26-2014, 04:47 AM

My husband got home from work this morning, and was looking over this bobbin problem. He noticed that there is a "tire" in the lid, that seems to press up against the wheel, which is, what I assume, turns the bobbin winder. This tire WILL NOT turn...at all! Is it supposed to? You'll also notice a flat spot on it. This is abnormal too, right?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458706[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-bobbin-lid.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 06:17 AM

Yes, the bobbin winder tire is supposed to rotate, and the flat spot is not good.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:52 AM

Rach, Check the bobbin winder for thread jamming it. If not that then oil, oil, oil it until it frees up. Many folks have gotten in the habit of using the little bobbin winders and those on the machines just gum up from lack of use. You can get a new bobbin tire at your LSMG or Sew-Classic. I just replaced the one on my 158-17570 last week because it had several flat spots on it. Much better now. The bobbin you'll need is this one: { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Bobb...5287-15287.htm }. That metal "stick" you are pointing to is a spring. Has nothing to do with the bobbin winder. All the bobbin winding parts are attached to the cover. Everything in your pics looks normal. Don't fix anything. As you look at the bobbin winder from the top you'll see a little notch in the housing just at the base of the shaft the bobbin mounts to. That is an oil hole. Many time these are just ignored and never get oiled. Joe
Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 AM

Kenmore has a few models that are known to have faulty bobbin winders. Some were made out of pot metal and are very prone to breakage and not working correctly. I don't know if this is one of the models, but the winder could be pot metal, so don't force it. YOu'll need a new tire for sure, but I'd just start with Triflow and then maybe a penetrating oil if that doesn't work. The objective is to get it working without busting it in pieces. Ask how I know this. I do think there are enough donor machines around and perhaps this winder is still available for purchase, but you'd find more info. about it on the vintageKenmore yahoo group.

I would bet that a penetrating oil might get things going for you again.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:27 PM

Those bobbin tires is basically like trying to drive with a flat tire. It'll definitely need to be replaced. Usually a packet of 2 or 3 run between 3 and 6 dollars depending on where you get them. I know some joann's carry them.