Kenmore 1802

Old 06-20-2014, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbeat View Post
Nice machine. Can I ask a question?
Is the body of the machine cast iron or aluminum?
It will be obvious if it is cast iron, because the machine will be HEAVY.

I have been considering one of these machines because of the monogrammer attachment, but I vastly prefer cast iron to aluminum.
James,
Don't mean to butt in, but these machines are cast aluminum. They are not a light weight flimsy casting though. Very stable and strong machines. I've got one with everything in the book you could get for it, and a couple others. All are very good sewers.

Joe
Old 06-20-2014, 04:38 AM

Thank all of you for your information and support on the 1802 query. I will get the id info and pictures onto the board just as soon as I get DH through this day's doctors' re-re test.

Right now you are holding my hand while I wait through the long process.

Pat
Old 06-20-2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
James,
Don't mean to butt in, but these machines are cast aluminum. They are not a light weight flimsy casting though. Very stable and strong machines. I've got one with everything in the book you could get for it, and a couple others. All are very good sewers.

Joe
Thanks Joe
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM

Pat,

Take care of hubby first, we can wait.

Steve,
You're welcome.

Joe
Old 12-29-2014, 08:42 AM

Default Kenmore 1802

Hi! I too just inherited the Kenmore 1802 with the Tower of Accessories. Unfortunately, mine did not include the manual or accessory cards. I was able to purchase a copy of a manual online. However the manual is pretty basic and does not include information on any of accessories - so I'm not sure it is complete. I also have not been able to find the accessory instruction cards. I was wondering if you would be willing to sell me copies of your information. Please let me know. Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by w1613s View Post
Just inherited the machine and, from what I can tell at this point, every part ever made for it. I do have the manual as well as a packet with 10 information cards about some of the many feet. The parts come in a tower with 3 trays. There is one very small spot of rust at the edge of the right hand side of what the manual calls the nomenclature plate. Otherwise it looks as though it is right off the showroom floor. No dirt, no dust, and almost unbelievably - no lint or threads. It simply does not look as though it was ever used, forget uncovered. I have no "story" on this machine's life before it got to me and am looking for information, stories, suggestions, and "for heaven's sake, do not dos."

I don't know why this machine makes me so shy, but it does. Your intelligent, experienced input will be greatly appreciated and carefully followed.

Thanks for holding my hand.

Pat
Old 12-29-2014, 08:54 AM

I too have just inherited the Kenmore 1802 with Accessory Tower. Unfortunatey, mine did not come with the manual or accessory cards. I did purchase a manual online, but it did not include information about the accessories, so I'm not sure if it is a complete manual. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to sell me copies of the accessory cards. Please let me know. I am new to the sewing world and have no idea how to use all these accessories! I know...pitiful! But I'm trying to learn- please help!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:16 PM

Jessica, I would be pleased to get you copies of the accessory cards but I do not have them, any of the other accoutrements for this machine, or the machine itself. My nephew is interested in theater. He is very interested in costuming and needed a better machine than his non-sewing mother's plastic Singer. He has it and is using it sewing costumes for the latest play being staged at his artistic magnet high school.

His grandmother's doctor just told her that her cancer treatment will take her hair. When he heard that, he got busy and made her several soft hats and assorted mix and match soft hat ornaments. His great-grandmother liked the hats so well that he made her some to match her coat. He's an extraordinarily kind young man.

With regard to the cards. My getting my hands on them would be the long way around the barn. I am going to speak to his mother and ask her if the cards can be copied somehow and then sent on to you or perhaps emailed to you. If that will help, please let me know. An odd thought: Have you tried contacting Sears? Probably a dry hole but Sears has surprised me more than once. Or maybe one of the online sellers of vintage machine parts and manuals, etc.?

From the costumes (they are used hard) as well as the hats I've seen, you have a really good machine. Nice stitches. Not finicky. Solid. I hope I can help you like it even more.

Happy New Year!

Pat
Old 12-29-2014, 08:38 PM

Jessica,

I have an 1802 and the Tower but I don't have the Accessory cards that goes with that set of attachments. However, you can find a Manual for Kenmore Attachments in a free pdf here:

http://www.sew-classic.com/uploads/K...ach_manual.pdf

That document is for a much earlier box of attachments than the set you have. However, many of the feet will be recognizable and it will help you get started identifying and using the attachments you have. I have another box of attachments with accessory cards (but not the set from the 1802) that I could scan but a lot of it is duplicated in the document I linked. If there are attachments you can't identify, you could post a picture and ask about it and I'm sure someone can explain it. Youtube is also a good source for demonstrations for many things sewing related, including attachments. So if you can name it and search, someone has probably uploaded a video about it.

Good luck.

John
Old 12-29-2014, 09:05 PM

Also, one of the feet in your attachments (not included in the pdf manual) should be an invisible zipper foot. It will look like this one:

http://www.ids-la.com/FOOT-Kenmore-S...er_p_1589.html

And here are instructions for installing an invisible zipper:

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/02/...isible-zipper/

She uses way more pins than I do, but does explain it.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:02 AM

I have an 1802(3) with the tower and I just want to add that it's one of the best sewing machines I own. Really, really great machine.