Kenmore 1802

Old 05-06-2015, 05:38 PM

I recently bought one of these, an 18023, on Craigslist, and after replacing the tension and the bobbin case I'm getting pretty stitches, but as you expressed in your original message, I have a little uncertainty about it. I wonder if you are feeling more confident almost a year later. I have the manual and every attachment, 30 disks, the whole alphabet (no numbers), all the feet that came with it and possibly a few extras. I get stumped on some very basic things that nobody else has mentioned. The manual has a picture of a needle and says to use needles exactly this size. [This might really be a problem for people with photocopied manuals, but I have the original.] I have quite a stash of needles and found only one package with two needles left in it that exact length, and they are #9 quilting needles. There is no information on the brand, type or source of these needles other than "Made in Japan". I don't have any idea where I got them, probably years ago! How exact is that picture in the manual? Does this machine really not work right with more common needles that are just a hair longer? I don't know whether I'm paranoid or really hearing a tick-tick sound in there that shouldn't be happening. It's very quiet. Also, with some of the disks it runs only backwards. Is that because of something I'm doing, or a problem with the machine? I love the chainstitch capability, and this is the only machine I have that can do that. I have a Bernina 830 Record and my mother's Elna Super that are from about the same period, late 1960's and early '70's, and it seems to me that sewing machines have gone downhill a lot since that time. My nice recent Singer does great at the moment, but there's virtually no chance it will still work 40 years from now.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I recently bought one of these, an 18023, on Craigslist, and after replacing the tension and the bobbin case I'm getting pretty stitches, but as you expressed in your original message, I have a little uncertainty about it. I get stumped on some very basic things that nobody else has mentioned. The manual has a picture of a needle and says to use needles exactly this size. [This might really be a problem for people with photocopied manuals, but I have the original.] I have quite a stash of needles and found only one package with two needles left in it that exact length, and they are #9 quilting needles. There is no information on the brand, type or source of these needles other than "Made in Japan". I don't have any idea where I got them, probably years ago! How exact is that picture in the manual? Does this machine really not work right with more common needles that are just a hair longer?
The 1802, along with most commonly available vintage sewing machines, uses standard 15x1 needles.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
........ Also, with some of the disks it runs only backwards. Is that because of something I'm doing, or a problem with the machine? ...........
I'm interested in this too. I don't have that machine but am working on a newer 158.xxxx Kenmore free arm with a built in cam stack. The decorative stitches are giving me fits. I have noticed the machine running backwards on some of them. A longer stitch length seems to help but it's not a complete solution for me.
Rodney
Old 05-07-2015, 04:34 AM

Some Kenmore disks require the machine controls to be set for stretch stitch. This setting will engage the reverse as the machine stitches. If you watch as the machine sews the fabric will move back and forth.

Kenmores are very specific on how you set the controls. Set them exactly as it says in the manual and they work great. Set them otherwise and things can go wonky.

Joe
Old 05-07-2015, 07:23 PM

Thanks, Mark! I figured I probably was being paranoid, but there is that unaccountable picture in the manual. Perhaps printing wasn't quite what it is today.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:23 PM

Will do. Thanks, Joe!