Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore Cams - Interchangeable? >

Kenmore Cams - Interchangeable?

Kenmore Cams - Interchangeable?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 AM

Default Kenmore Cams - Interchangeable?

I'm using mom's Kenmore since a tornado destroyed my machine a few years ago. The Kenmore has orange cams with it but not very many - 8. I would like to have more cams. I've seen green and gray cams also. Are they interchangeable? What's the difference? Is there anything specific I should know about the cams and using them?

Thanks!!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 AM

The yahoo Kenmore group has a list of which colored cams work with which models. I don't care for the new Neo format of the yahoo groups, but joining may benefit you as the cam list was pretty comprehensive from what I remember.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 AM

from what I gathered, there are several styled of cams for the different manufactures of the Kenmore, however if you get similar style cams. Some are rather small, some are larger and flat, and a third style is larger with the top hat.

I just purchased a 158.18033 and will need to get the full accessories set for it - I'll have to go find that Yahoo group! Already belong to Singer, Viking, Pfaff (all vintage) and Bailey, so what is one more. I also don't like the Neo format.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 AM

I have a set of grey and a set of the orange and green flat cams.
There was also some white colored flat cams as well.
They are identical down to the pattern numbers and will interchange.

As long as you use the same design of cam the color doesn't matter.

Joe
Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 AM

Macybaby....You will love your 158.1803 Kenmore machine, it is a favorite of mine and I love the all of the decorative stitch cams that came with mine. Enjoy it, it is a very strong machine.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:40 PM

I went to the Yahoo group and tried to join this morning. That was not an easy task!! Of course, it could've just been me. I got it all filled out and submitted and had to wait for approval. So I'm going to go take a look and see what I can figure out. The only problem will be that the machine is in the shop getting some much needed cleaning and i don't know the model #. Thanks for the input everyone!!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 AM

amelia,

What kind of machine was destroyed by the tornado?

What would get if you were actually looking for one?

Just being snoopy, hope you don't mind.

Joe
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 PM

The one that was destroyed by the tornado was a Singer from the early 80's. The roof was removed from the house and shingle pieces and water got into it. It probably could've been repaired if I had gotten to it quickly enough but couldn't get in to that part of the house for about a week. I didn't take it in for repairs even then - just had way too much else to deal with. I wasn't sewing then and only the things I had to have to live were given priority

I don't even know what is available. I mean I know the brand names but haven't looked around to know what I'd want. Since I can't afford one, I won't look!! And it's nice to use mom's machine. She was an amazing seamstress when she had good vision. So I like knowing that I'm using the same machine that mom made dad's seude coat from.

I just wish I had some more decorative stitches or maybe something I could embroidery with. But if you don't know what options are out there, you can't want them so again, I just don't look!

I also own both my grandmother's and my husband's grandmother's sewing machines. They are treadle machines in the wooden cabinets. My grandmother's still has the last thread in it she ever used. I've never attempted to use either one and wouldn't have a clue how. But I love them. My grandmother was a piano/seamstress for a living and my husband's grandmother was a beekeeper. She also hooked beautiful rugs - dyed the yarns herself. I don't know how much she actually used her sewing machine though. Probably not much from the looks of it.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:10 AM

I may have some Kenmore attachments that would work with your machine. I've been picking up them when I found them cheap at thrift stores, and I've finally bought a machine and it's newer (early 70's) with a high shank, and a lot of what I've got won't fit. Let us know what model number you have - or post a picture of the machine and what the cams you have look like.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:18 AM

Oh YAY! I most definitely will. Hope to pick her up from being cleaned today!! Will get model number then. Thanks so much!