Kenmore Help Please

Old 09-28-2016, 04:39 AM

Default Kenmore Help Please

Two of my Kenmore's have the same issue-so it has to be something I am over looking-I can sew for about a inch then it jams up making a mess of the bobbin thread and then the needle gets stuck, I have tried changing needles, resetting the little screw on the bobbin holder ....Would greatly appreciate any help.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:22 AM

No help but my Viking is doing the exact same thing lately. Will be interested to learn the answer!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:23 AM

I don't know your Kenmore, but it would help if you could let us know the model or post a picture. Depending on the age of the model; check for needle in the correct way; bobbin goes in the correct way from which it is wound; correct bobbins for your model; double or even triple check correct threading with the manual ; and make sure the bobbin thread is fully in the tension spring in the case. Check top tension too; thread inbetween the disk and gradual increase as you turn the tension up (check by pulling on the thread when machine is threaded up).

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-28-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:48 AM

Sewing machines need a good clean too, take of lids, covers, needle plate, take out the bobbin case and clean out dust, lint, bit's of treads etc., then detect all oil points and oil.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:23 AM

No matter how new or old, every sewing machine I sit down to, I hold both top and bottom threads out the back until several stitches are made. It is just the way I learned to sew. I have a small herd of Kenmore sewing machines, so am interested in knowing which models are acting up.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
No matter how new or old, every sewing machine I sit down to, I hold both top and bottom threads out the back until several stitches are made. It is just the way I learned to sew. I have a small herd of Kenmore sewing machines, so am interested in knowing which models are acting up.
I still hold thread tails as well! I would certainly start with a good cleaning of your bobbin area. Use a flashlight. Sounds like you possibly have a tiny bit of thread stuck somewhere. A friend had that happen on a vintage singer and it caused all kinds of issues. Found the thread bit, plucked out with a pair of tweezers and problem solved.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:56 PM

It makes me wonder if there's a thread tail hanging off the bobbin, or wrapped around the end maybe? Or a bent bobbin?
Old 09-29-2016, 08:20 AM

I agree, hold the 2 threads as you start sewing.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:07 AM

I have some machines that INSIST on the correct thread weight and type for the eye size and size of the needle. Check the actual eye of the needle it may have a burr, you can also check to make sure you do not have two different kinds of thread..one of my JUKI'S hates that and throws a real temper tantrum.

SO many little things can go wrong it just takes a slow process of elimination. Let us know if you figure it out, it will help others. Hope you figure it out soon.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
I agree, hold the 2 threads as you start sewing.
Same here. It bothers me when I see internet tutorials where they don't do this and the threads kind of get tangled up in the foot, etc.