Knee Controller ?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Knee Controller ?

I still haven't found my cord for the camera. It's a shame because a picture is worth a thousand words and it would really help here.
I'm working on rewiriing a National made Wards Brunswick machine in a cabinet. It has a knee controller that can also be a foot controller if you remove the folding lever. The controller is brown like the machine and has a mesh cover on it's top. The mesh cover looks like it's held on with a metal clip at each end. I'm trying to figure out how to open this thing up so I can replace the wires. There are two screws on the side that I removed but it didn't help. The old rubber insulation is no good anymore. I could just slap another controller in but I like this one and want to use it.
Does anyone know the trick to opening one of these?
Sorry for the lack of pictures,
Rodney
Old 04-03-2015, 12:15 PM

Rodney,

The screw holding the pedal on is a shaft that passes through with a shorter screw on one side. Use two screwdrivers and unscrew it. The shaft will then come out. There is a spring under the pedal attached to something. Look carefully to see what does what.
When you get the pedal off, gently pry the two clips out of their slots, that will or should allow the holey part to pivot off. The other end has tabs IIRC.

Once that's off you can see how the resistance unit works.
The two screws on the side of the body hold the resistance unit to the body. Don't take them loose until you get the pedal and holey top off.

I had one of those some time back. Got it from a forum member who later found the MW machine it went to. So she got it back.

I'll see if I have some pics of the one I had while it was disassembled.

Joe
Old 04-03-2015, 12:22 PM

Thanks Joe!
That's what I was afraid of. The clips do have to come out. Kind of unusual. Most things from back then are easier to take apart for servicing.
Rodney
Old 04-03-2015, 12:25 PM

Rodney,

Honestly, it's not that hard to get apart. It just looks like it. I was going to rewire the one I had and it sat in a zip-lock bag for nearly a year completely apart. I was able to get it back together without any problems.

Oh, and I don't have any pics of it apart. Only two of it assembled.

Joe
Old 04-03-2015, 03:28 PM

Thanks Joe.
I'll take another look in the next couple of days. I was just worried about tearing it up, scratching the finish, that sort of thing. I wanted to be sure I was taking things apart the right way before I started prying on those clips. It's a neat looking controller even if it is mostly out of sight when it's mounted and I don't want to screw it up.
Rodney