Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay >

Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

Old 08-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Default Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

I know we have the giggles thread, but I would love to learn from all of you about the perils of buying on Craig's list or Ebay. I am learning slowly, lol.

i learned today that I will never respond to an ad that does not list a price. I was invited to "bid" on the item. No thanks, I don't need it that bad.

Thanks in advance for any experiences you might share.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:14 PM

I once answered a Craigslist ad that had a price, and I was still asked to top the offer of another "buyer".

Told her I didn't know it was an auction, and bade her farewell.

I am hesitant to bid on an eBay machine, because having shipped a few sewing machines, I know what it takes to pack them, and am leary of what I might get. Especially the ones with low shipping fees.

Last edited by mlmack; 08-20-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Banned

I strongly recommend the use of the feedback features of both applications CL and EBay

If a person asks me to "outbid" someone else, I let them know that their email reply has been forwarded to the CL abuse group http://sfbay.craigslist.org/feedback

Same with Ebay, if a seller tries to "end around" Ebay I report them.

I figure if they are willing to cheat Ebay, why not me too?

I agree, if a person has listed a sewing machine with a low shipping fee, I message them and ask them to describe how they plan to pack it. You would be AMAZED what I have heard back... from "I will just wrap it in a couple of towels" to and "I just put it in a box and ship it" all the way to "I pack it so well it adds 3 pounds to the shipment"

I send them instructions on how to pack a sewing machine and ask for their reply, then I gauge their reaction to determine whether to bid or not.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 PM

I've learned that lesson about shipping too Mark. The first time an oil can was left loose and tip broke off and leaked, it was minor but really I've packed shoes better.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM

I had a local CL seller tell me that although a buyer was en route to buy a machine they were selling, they'd not answer the door, or tell the person it was already sold once they got there, if I were to offer them more money for it...

Crazy! And so if I were to stoop to their level and do that, who's to say I wouldn't show up and be in the same situation as the first guy? Rude and unscrupulous people are everywhere.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:45 PM

I recently ran across an add on CL that was completely generic for a singer with a phone number and "text for pics". I texted with the usual questions (Does it sew, serial number, basic history). I got back a text that said "I texted you pics when I listed it last march. You said it was a 66". Seriously, why didn't you put that in the ad when you reposted? I would have saved my time.
I also try not to buy from antique dealers who don't sew or anyone who is so proud of grandma's machine that they won't negotiate.
Just my .02
Old 08-20-2013, 04:48 PM

That's great advice Steve about asking the seller how they would ship an item before you bid. I will use that advice thanks!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by trivia42 View Post
I recently ran across an add on CL that was completely generic for a singer with a phone number and "text for pics". I texted with the usual questions (Does it sew, serial number, basic history). I got back a text that said "I texted you pics when I listed it last march. You said it was a 66". Seriously, why didn't you put that in the ad when you reposted? I would have saved my time.
I also try not to buy from antique dealers who don't sew or anyone who is so proud of grandma's machine that they won't negotiate.
Just my .02
I just figure those are some sort of scam and don't even contact the seller. If you have pics, put them in the ad.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM

Candace that is awful,

I would run from that deal, that's for sure.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:57 PM

I don't do craigs list as I find them to be scumbags. sorry but that is being polite.