Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Lets gather our Sewing Machine Manuals! >

Lets gather our Sewing Machine Manuals!

Lets gather our Sewing Machine Manuals!

Old 09-12-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Hey quite right. Try this one: https://docs.google.com/file/d/1hliI...it?usp=sharing
(the real adjuster's manual has now stood up).
Tammi, your foot adjustment info is awesome. Not sure if I mentioned it but I've used it at least twice, and have it (obviously) on my Google drive

When I click on that link I get this:
You need permission

Want in? Ask the owner for access, or switch to an account with permission. Learn more
You are signed in as arch****@gmail.com.

Which brings up a point. To view a lot of Google drive stuff, I don't know how much of that is permissions, since your first one didn't do this, you need to have a Google account, gmail address, etc.

I'm really glad to see that that tutorial is useful to you. It IS actually one of the most viewed posts on my site. That and the thread cost comparison, and the bobbin case stuff for the 99/66 style machines. The tension and timing ones definitely are up there too. Yeah, I'm a stats geek, but it tells me what people want to see.

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but I've researched this, and here is what I've found. If the manual is in the public domain, then it's legal to publicize it.
<snip>
As an aside, I posted a thread on QB that was deleted because it had an image from a Singer book (not a manual). It was in the public domain and legal to publicize it, but QB said they needed written proof. Of course I can't expect QB to look through Copyright Catalogs every time someone posts an image or to trust that board members have done their research, so this is understandable. (If anyone wants a copy of the parts list that I posted, PM me.)
See that's the problem, I have probably over 100 manuals up there, and to research each one of them would take days. I suspect that DB and Google would just delete before checking too.

Which book did you post from? I have a number of them here, but I'd be interested in knowing what was deleted, especially if I haven't seen it. I have various parts charts here that may or may not be public domain, I know that they say on them that they're or Singer employees only, etc.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have manuals but I sure don't know how to make files of them.
Which manuals? Some will already be "out there". If I was closer to you, I'd offer to scan them and turn them into PDFs, but,.. uh... 3300kms (2050mi) one way assuming I didn't get lost at all... that's a lotta driving.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:51 PM

In earlier posts on this thread, I mentioned I was writing a manual for the Belvedere Adler 950-B sewing machine. The manual has been on my blog but now I've finished the pdf file of the Belvedere Adler 950-B manual.
Download the pdf file from my blog if you need one!

Last edited by Christine-; 09-12-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Want in? Ask the owner for access, or switch to an account with permission. Learn more

I double-checked and it says it'll share it with anyone who has the URL. Seems I had the URL wrong. Google gave me the "signed in" version.
Try it now: adjuster's manual for 201
Old 09-13-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
In earlier posts on this thread, I mentioned I was writing a manual for the Belvedere Adler 950-B sewing machine. The manual has been on my blog but now I've finished the pdf file of the Belvedere Adler 950-B manual.
Download the pdf file from my blog if you need one!
manicmike, the url you posted doesn't last. You'll need to repost the new link soon, and then it will only last a few days as well. That's why I have people go to my blog, since I'm able to edit the link there every time it changes. My blog page will never change.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 AM

I just realized, you were referencing a different pdf file than mine. Sorry! Going to get more coffee now.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
[/INDENT]I double-checked and it says it'll share it with anyone who has the URL. Seems I had the URL wrong. Google gave me the "signed in" version.
Try it now: adjuster's manual for 201
Yes, this works, but Christine says the link will expire? How long?
Old 09-14-2013, 02:13 PM

Yes, this works, but Christine says the link will expire? How long?
Ignore what I said! I thought he was referencing the google.docs link I posted, not the one you posted. Sorry for the confusion, it was all mine!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:57 PM

See that's the problem, I have probably over 100 manuals up there, and to research each one of them would take days. I suspect that DB and Google would just delete before checking too.
You're right, it is a tedious process. There is one exception, and that is if the copyright date is between 1950 and 1963. For those 13 years you can use the US Copyright Office 1978-present database which searches all years. However, there may be something wrong with that database. When I search "Singer Sewing" I get only a handful of results.
Which book did you post from? I have a number of them here, but I'd be interested in knowing what was deleted, especially if I haven't seen it. I have various parts charts here that may or may not be public domain, I know that they say on them that they're or Singer employees only, etc.
I mis-spoke, it's not really a parts list but a chart of feet/attachments with part numbers, geared towards the consumer. You've probably seen it -- it's "Machine Sewing [something, something]", copyright 1948. It's Singer's form # 1876, published multiple times from the teens through the 60s, with slightly different titles. The latest version I have is the "Teacher's Textbook of Machine Sewing" (softcover), copyright 1960. The parts chart in 1948 and 1960 are virtually identical. I've checked a bunch of years and couldn't find any renewals. The 1960 book has all new illustrations (compared to the prior years) and it was not renewed. I suspect that Singer did not renew the copyrights because they were superseded with new copyrights, and in 1988 they considered the 1960 book to be so out-of-date that they did not bother. But I'm just guessing.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

I printed one out!!! Thank you. Now some time I can work on the 201 I picked up.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:22 PM

PS -- If you're not violating copyright, Google is not likely to remove it. One can report to Google that his rights have been violated, but not the rights of someone else. If the (previous) owner knows that their copyright has expired, they're not likely to make a false report. They would lose credibility because it's public information and not hard to verify. Google is on a mission to make non-copyrighted publications available to the public. QB is a different story.