Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Light New Home treadle Machine >

Light New Home treadle Machine

Light New Home treadle Machine

Old 12-16-2014, 01:15 PM

Default Light New Home treadle Machine

I received a gift of a 1881 Light New Home treadle. It is the the original table, has shuttles and bobbins.a coffin top and the original manual. The wheel turns etc. Work is needed to oil machine and cabinet needs to be polished It has the original drawers with pulleys. How do I remove some rust? Is this worth salvaging? I would say fair shape.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Hi Marti,
It is always helpful when photos are shared. Then we know what you are dealing with. Congrats by the way!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Marti1943 View Post
I received a gift of a 1881 Light New Home treadle. It is the the original table, has shuttles and bobbins.a coffin top and the original manual. The wheel turns etc. Work is needed to oil machine and cabinet needs to be polished It has the original drawers with pulleys. How do I remove some rust? Is this worth salvaging? I would say fair shape.
There is a "sticky" thread at the top of the listing that shows how to clean and de-rust these old machines. It is so very much worth salvaging. The older machines sew WAY better than new machines
Old 12-16-2014, 02:58 PM

I really like the graceful lines of the early New Homes. Your machine sounds pretty complete so I would say yes, it is worth cleaning up. Look for the thread:"Can This Machine be Saved?". You'll be amazed at how good some real basket cases look now that they've been restored.
Rodney
Old 12-16-2014, 05:26 PM

If you think you'd enjoy the cleaning process and will enjoy using the old girl it's definitely worth salvaging. If not sell to someone that will. I think I'd slam the door on the next person showing up with another free sewing machine

Jon