Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Look what I have found!  Vintage hand crank Singer Sewing Machine >

Look what I have found! Vintage hand crank Singer Sewing Machine

Look what I have found! Vintage hand crank Singer Sewing Machine

Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
B Lizzie - watch my video on how to adjust the tension on a long bobbin machine. Follow the same method on that video to adjust your upper tension. Make sure you have cleaned your discs first. Shame we aren't round the corner from each other...
Thanks Muv. Will keep this in mind when I get down to sewing with it. Will keep you posted.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Before you mess with the tension, use a different color of thread in the bobbin and the spool of thread and a new needle to see just how the tension is working on your machine. It might be OK. If not, watch Muv's videos and go from there.
I keep a small spool of thread, a bobbin of other thread (I can always transfer it to the one with the machine) a scrap of fabric, new machine needles, and a tiny pair of scissors in my purse, just in case... I come across a vintage machine I want to try out. I did that with the last Singer 99 I bought, much to the amusement of the clerks in the store. It let me know just what I was getting.
That little oil can with your machine is so cute, a real keeper!! ")
Old 06-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
Before you mess with the tension, use a different color of thread in the bobbin and the spool of thread and a new needle to see just how the tension is working on your machine. It might be OK. If not, watch Muv's videos and go from there.
I keep a small spool of thread, a bobbin of other thread (I can always transfer it to the one with the machine) a scrap of fabric, new machine needles, and a tiny pair of scissors in my purse, just in case... I come across a vintage machine I want to try out. I did that with the last Singer 99 I bought, much to the amusement of the clerks in the store. It let me know just what I was getting.
That little oil can with your machine is so cute, a real keeper!! ")
Hi Janis

thank you for the tip. It apparently was in use until it became jammed with the knot of thread. I am hoping that it is still working and needs no adjustment. I can't test it now as we are packing to move and the place is in complete chaos!! Once we are settled, I'll take my time to clean it up and then try it out afterwards.

Yes, the oil can is so cute, I was so tickled by it actually that my son was a little embarassed about me fawning all over this little vintage oil can! I love embarrassing my son because the look on his face is just so funny. He's 17 but hey it's just a number and he will always be my little boy. Heaven forbids he reads this post!