Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Looking For an ELNA Grasshopper?  Check Out This GW Auction. >

Looking For an ELNA Grasshopper? Check Out This GW Auction.

Looking For an ELNA Grasshopper? Check Out This GW Auction.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:49 AM

Default Looking For an ELNA Grasshopper? Check Out This GW Auction.

It the more modern style and the listing says that the, "motor is jammed." I'm sure it is probably something that one of you could easily fix. Comes with the case too. Presently bidding at $19.99. Unfortunately, it's pick-up only in WA.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-20199166.html
Old 03-01-2015, 08:20 AM

It's a Supermatic. People seem to call them "grasshopper" if they are green but technically they aren't. You never know with GW. It could be a bobbin thread jam or it could be that the underpinnings are rusted solid.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 AM

That one is tempting. I'm pretty certain the case is worth more than the opening bid. Trouble is I'm going to be in the area on the 2nd, then won't be going that way again for a few weeks. It works better if I can combine trips.
Rodney
Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 AM

I am looking for a Grasshopper - to add to my collection of small machines. I've seen one in person - they sure are tiny. The Supermatic may look similar in pictures - but it's more of a normal size machine.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:55 AM

A friend gave away one of those that was passed down from an in-law. It had attachments and the owner's manual. She said it was so noisy she couldn't stand it. Any of you ever use one? Is it a pain to set up, or do you leave it up all the time? Guess you've figured out by now that it lives here, waiting for me to find a round tuit. It is a Supermatic. Until reading the post from Macybaby, I thought all the green fold out metal case ones were Grasshoppers.

Last edited by elnan; 03-01-2015 at 09:00 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 PM

If it's horribly noisy it has no doubt developed a flat spot on the friction wheel. It's a common problem--kind of a design flaw I'd say. You can get a new friction wheel from White's Sewing Center for about 24.00. Once you've replaced it, yu want to unscrew the clutch and back the hand wheel off a bit to keep pressure off that part when the machine is not in use. It's a nice little machine. It takes the Elna cams which give you plenty of fun patterns and stitches.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:50 AM

I have one and the person who cleaned and oiled it said it ran the quietest of any machine he had ever seen. He was imprssed. The true grasshopper is the skinny one that has a metal case and fits into the case for sewing, not the big clunky one.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 AM

That's true it is technically a Supermatic, but since many people call them Grasshoppers, I thought I'd use that term to draw attention to it. I didn't know they were noisy.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:17 AM

They are only noisy if they have a problem.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
If it's horribly noisy it has no doubt developed a flat spot on the friction wheel. It's a common problem--kind of a design flaw I'd say. You can get a new friction wheel from White's Sewing Center for about 24.00. Once you've replaced it, yu want to unscrew the clutch and back the hand wheel off a bit to keep pressure off that part when the machine is not in use. It's a nice little machine. It takes the Elna cams which give you plenty of fun patterns and stitches.
Thanks Christy. That's territory I haven't gotten into. I may call on you when I get to that stage. Right now it's sitting next to the 3/4 size "Rodney" by DeLuxe that she gave me at the same time.