I posted this in the main section but it was suggested to ask in this forum as well. I'm working on cleaning up a 201 to try free motion quilting -- heard that the large throat and straight stitch were great for FMQ. Then I read that the bobbin can cause some issues but the vertical bobbin case in the 15-91 and 301 were better for FMQ. This week, from Craig’s List, I got a very nice black 301 for a good price ($40, including the cabinet, instruction book and many specialty feet). I do have to replace the cords, which I’m going to order from the Sew Classic website, and get bobbins.
1. If you FMQ on a either a 201 or 301, what tips do you have?
2. What type of thread works best for you?
3. Do you use Singer needles, or do other common brands work?
4. What size needle?
5. Do you add a Supreme Slider or other slick surface?
6. I have some Bobbin Genies – do you use them?
7. What type of free motion/darning foot do you use? I’m going to have to order a slant shank FMQ foot for the 301. I'd like to find one with an open toe for better visiblity if possible. What workds for you?
Thanks for sharing your advice and expertise!