Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Looking for someone who restores vintage machines >

Looking for someone who restores vintage machines

Looking for someone who restores vintage machines

Old 11-07-2014, 02:48 PM

Default Looking for someone who restores vintage machines

I inherited a 1927 Singer from my husband's grandmother and am looking for someone to restore her, inside and out, to her former beauty. I live in Maryland ... anyone know who I should contact?
Old 11-07-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Susan A View Post
I inherited a 1927 Singer from my husband's grandmother and am looking for someone to restore her, inside and out, to her former beauty. I live in Maryland ... anyone know who I should contact?
Welcome Susan. We're more a self-help group, but I'm sure there's someone who will offer to restore her for you (not me, obviously).
Old 11-07-2014, 04:25 PM

Congratulations! Any photos to share? We all love vintage machines here and offer support and any advice you might need to get your machine working and looking as good as it can! I have my mothers machine too. It's extra special when you receive something like that.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:48 PM

You might want to clean it yourself. Often all these old machines need to work again is a good cleaning and oiling. Cleaning it yourself will make you familiar with the machine and how it works. You will also gain the confidence and experience to maintain it yourself instead of bringing it to a sewing machine shop for maintenance.
Even if you don't want to do the work yourself it would be a good idea to read the stickies and watch the videos on how to clean and care for old sewing machines. It's easy to damage the decals if you use the wrong cleaning products.
Rodney
Old 11-07-2014, 06:00 PM

Try the local Sew n Vac if any are near you. An owners manual which are available free on the net would be a big help if there a bit hesitant and unfamiliar with the old machines. Don't let them talk you into a new machine. Good Luck.

Jon
Old 11-08-2014, 01:51 AM
Power Poster

Some times you can find people on CL who do restorations but then there are some who just spray it down with some solvent and pronounce it fit... do some careful interviewing. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself be prepared to shell out some cash.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:39 AM

Miriam has got it right. I have drafted DH and DS into my world of old (and older) sewing machines. The son brings them in, and the husband gets drafted into the "fixin' up" part. Anyone who walks into my house from the front door (not very often) and side door (at the patio just off the driveway) looks around with big eyes and says, "boy, you sure do have a lot of sewing machines." What they can't see is more like it--I am talking about maybe 10 sewing machines here; with others out in my sewing room under the bed and scattered all over the floor and available wall space, plus others that I haven't taken the time to check out yet in DH's shop......the list goes on.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

When I got my 401, the first thing I did was to get the manual out before I even plugged it in. The owner before me got it brand new as a Christmas present from her DH. She was decorating her home with an older machine. This 401 is in a desk cabinet. I love it. I have cleaned it at least once a week. The owner before me kept it in tip top shape. She was an interior designer and also made quilts. Just spend some time and go over your machine. Depending on how dirty it is, just ask anyone like J Miller and Macybaby and others. there are a lot of videos that can help you. Ask some one at your local quilt shop who they may recommend. One of my favorite haunts has a woman who does repair and maintenance for many of the customers there. Luckily, my DH is mechanically inclined and had been taking care of his mother's machine (when he was younger)which I found out to be just like mine but different style cabinet.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:24 AM

Can you post pictures of your machine and cabinet? That might help us guide you in your restoration.
Woodwork can be prohibitively expensive to have restored, that's why many of us do the work ourselves. I wouldn't shoot for "brand new" either. The machine earned any wear to her bed or pin rash on her arm from honest use by your husband's grandmother. I would be inclined to simply clean the machine with sewing machine oil, free it up if it's stuck from sitting for years and put it back to work.
If you're not comfortable restoring the woodwork yourself, you might try a local college with a woodworking department and see if any of the students there want an extra project. Another option is an antiques restorer but prices can be a bit shocking.
Rodney
Old 11-09-2014, 07:51 AM

I see an occasional ad for a guy in KY here near us (Lafayette is only 15 miles from the KY line); says he is 70+ years old, and fixes machines for $10 an hour. But I don't know him, nor have I spoken with him; I guess it depends on how far you live from Kentucky if you want to give him a try. PM me, and I'll try to find his ad for you.