Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Lots of goodies and a thread question >

Lots of goodies and a thread question

Lots of goodies and a thread question

Old 01-08-2015, 08:53 AM

Default Lots of goodies and a thread question

We got our latest box of goodies from GW today. Lots of feet, accessories, needle plates, needles, a snazy folding knife ( I found it first and put dibs on it ) A Singer Even Feed slant shank walking foot, some Singer T&S black and white ring bobbins, and some thread.
A Kenmore owners manual, a couple button holler set ups

Some of the feet are snap on, some are slant shank, some high shank and some I haven't ID'd yet.
One might be a foot you make loops out of as the ZZ needle goes over the blade and tightens down. I've seen them used but up till now didn't have one. Not sure if it's a slant shank or high shank foot yet.

Then the thread. 10 6000 yard spools of U.S.A. made poly wrapped poly thread. Size TEX 40. Color: blue. We won't be needing any heavy duty thread for a long while.

But my question is, can someone point me to any thread size conversion charts other than the one on the C&C site?
I'm thinking I've seen them before, but don't have them bookmarked and my headache racked brain just won't remember things this morning.
This stuff should work for quilting my heavy denim quilts ....

I'll try and get some pics of some of this stuff later today.

Joe
Old 01-08-2015, 09:30 AM

Tex 40 is still classed a lightweight thread v 92 = tex 92

you can break Tex 40 with your hands, V 92 / tex 90 will cut you before it breaks

heavy weight thread are sold by the pound and don't usually have yardage marked on the label. a small cone of V 92 = 1/4 lb @ $18.

last spring I did a few denim quilts ( kings) I quilted one using V 92 and used almost a full cone. my biggest expense on that one was the thread
you'll find a chart in this

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miv...ad-information
Old 01-08-2015, 10:07 AM

10X, Thanks for the link. Lots of info there. Interesting about the strength of the thread. I tried to break this thread and darn near managed to cut myself. I could not break it. Maybe I'm just a weekling ..... Joe
Old 01-08-2015, 10:42 AM

I was going by some really old 42 I had, but it was old and I don't know what it was made of. That stuff took alot more to break, and made a snap sound when it did.

what you have sounds like a gold mine in thread.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:08 PM

That thread is serger thread I imagine. It's made to be used in a seam with 3 to 5 other threads and is should be used accordingly. Spun poly serger thread is very low quality in general and I only use in my serger.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:24 PM

J Miller, I sent you a PM. Just now. When you get time.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
J Miller, I sent you a PM. Just now. When you get time.
Barny,

Got the PM and replied.

Joe
Old 01-08-2015, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
That thread is serger thread I imagine. It's made to be used in a seam with 3 to 5 other threads and is should be used accordingly. Spun poly serger thread is very low quality in general and I only use in my serger.
Candace,

Possibly. I've got to say though that I can break the serger thread my wife has easily. This stuff, I can't break at all.
I am going to compare it to see.

At any rate I don't think it's any weaker than normal sewing thread. We shall see.

Joe
Old 01-08-2015, 02:53 PM

Aaa just get a magic marker , write serger on your sewing machine, it'll be good to go. thread can't read all that great
Old 01-08-2015, 03:02 PM

straight up I got out of my way. to buy my thread, the place is a hi end quilt shop, a pfaff dealer, they do for hire long arm quilting. They use nothing but maxi lock serger thread.

I told them what people say here about using serger thread, she laughed and look over at there two $30,000 machines at work, and looked back at me. seems that answered my question. LOLOL