Machine idiosyncrasies

Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 PM

Default Machine idiosyncrasies

I have been sewing on my "All Machines Quilt" for a week or so now using different machines.
I'm using the C&C Dual Duty HD HEAVY thread.

The thing I've noticed is that every 15 clone no mater what make or shape as well as my 15-91 with the end mounted top tension has require me to dial in more top tension to sew properly balanced stitches. In the case of the 15-91, a lot more. The clones just took one number more, the Singer, several.

Those machines with the front mounted top tension have needed almost no tension adjustments when using that heavy thread. This seems to be true no matter what brand or design as well.

Kind of a funny little idiosyncrasy of the 15 type of machine, I guess.

Joe
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM

I would seriously try a better thread. I find CC to be stretchy and not the best for any machine. I use Gutterman and rarely have an inconsistency problem with tension... Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Why are you using HEAVY thread? Check the prices of Auriful on ebay. You will be surprised how economical it is by those big spools. C&C is really not that cheap, if that is why you are using it.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 PM

I just finished sewing some more pieces with one of my 66-18s. Not one bit of trouble with the heavy thread. I didn't even have to tweek the tension. I think the geometry of the tensions and thread path has an affect on the tension.

Wintersewer,

I'm a firm believer in nailing things together for keeps. I've seen other bedding come apart when the thread fails. So last year when I was but a beginning sewest I started piecing the smaller parts together with the heavy thread. Once started I continued using what I had already bought.

Oh, I don't do eBay at this time. Our account is messed up and we haven't had the time to get with the eBay people to fix it.
Also for things like thread I prefer to buy locally. That way if I need something I don't have to order it and wait for delivery.

Joe
Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 PM

Yes, I've noticed that as well, but I love that! I use my 15-91 to piece quilts and sew thick leather. It always amazes me that the tension knob never needs moving. The leather, when putting 2 pieces together, was a full 1/4" thick! I used a heavy nylon upholstery thread. When I finished the upholstery project, I went right back to piecing. I just love my 15-91.

I have a 201 as well, and I go back and forth between the 2 when I'm quilting.