Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine Shed - a place to keep my collection >

The Machine Shed - a place to keep my collection

The Machine Shed - a place to keep my collection

Old 10-26-2014, 02:32 PM

momto5

Both my adult kids live in GA now, and my inlaws retired to FL. We joke about getting their retirement home eventually. I think if I knocked out the wall between the living room and master bedroom, I would have enough room for my long arm frame. We'd still have the second bedroom and the sun room can be used for guest sleeping as needed. . .

But I've got about 15 years before retirement, so we'll make do up here for a while longer (I love my job and we love living where no one else wants to live LOL!!)

Got part of the second wall up - this isn't going to go real fast. DH is doing it mostly by himself as I've got other things I need to be working on for now.

The interior measures 13' x 19'. I'm sure it won't be enough room LOL!! But then I'll start selecting and hopefully I can send machines home with people that stop by to see what I've got - until I don't have extras anymore.

Most of my machines will be displayed on shelves, with bases so they can be taken down and put in treadle cabinets to use as desired. Most of the Singers will be staying in the house though.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:34 PM

How exciting to have such a handy hubby to do this for you. Love to see your special place when its all finished. Looks like your having beautiful weather for the start of your remodel. Hope it holds.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:36 PM

BTW - if we get a lathe - it's going in his shop. He may whine about "my" building, but he's got way more square footage than I do.

I did promise him that if i get tired of sewing machines and get rid of them, he can use this building for woodworking- so he'd motivated to make it nice. That is one reason for higher ceilings, less likely to take out a light when swinging an 8' board around.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:57 PM

one more wall up and we're done for the night. This time of year is so great for working (the cold nights kill off the insects) except that it gets dark a bit early. In another week it will even be worse. But we do have lights.

It's going to have a big window in the front - the one we took out of my folk's den. It was only a few years old so worth saving.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:08 PM

Looks really good so far! Congrats on getting started.
Rodney
Old 10-26-2014, 07:12 PM

You work fast and it looks so nice. I am curious about how you are going to match the roof lines.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:35 AM

Good to see that at long last you will get that extra sewing machine space.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
You work fast and it looks so nice. I am curious about how you are going to match the roof lines.
The rooflines won't match. This one is going to be above the other, and symmetrical. It's not hard to do as long as one entire roof is above the other. If you look around, you'll see this quite common where a garage butts into a 2 story house.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:05 AM

How neat! and I think your DH is a real keeper for doing this. Be sure to post pictures and this project progresses. I don't have much of a collection of machines, but would love to have a building large enough to do all of my quilting in.
Only problem there I would never want to be in the house to do anything, lol, perhaps then my house would stay clean,if there wasn't quilting stuff everywhere. lol.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:57 AM

Lots of work ahead of you but it will be super nice when you are finished. Keep us informed with pictures of your progress.